Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

McLaren as an alternative to a GT3

Tobyone said:
Can they really depreciate much more?
I know they had a few issues to start with and they were sorted with I presume all cars having the IRIS2 upgrade and engine mod.
I do like the clinical side to the looks and they are a fairly dateless design.

I think the problem is that they very much could. Yes the F1 is now hugely valuable but there are very few of them and they were really more bespoke Hypercars than the mass marketing items that they release now.... McLaren themselves are the problem as they appear to release a new model every 5 mins and have lots of specials to really confuse the market. Basic rule of business is learn how to look after your second user market and manage the asset lifecycle. McLaren appear to focus only on the next new car sale which will mean thier customers pay the price through high servicing costs and poor residuals.

Apollo is right re an available indie now, but as they actually run a race team it's more likely the motivation is to use the tools they bought to enable the raceing to generate a bit of income than actually focus on indi servicing ?

I guess we are spoilt as porsche fans as there is a massive availibilty experience from race teams, engine builders and indi servicing all generated from years of affordable performance cars.

All food for thought defiantly.

I certainly agree with the new model variation every 5 minutes.
Must be following in Lotus footsteps

squelch said:
Indeed - funnily enough watched that yesterday. The warranties seem to vary depending on model and certainly make the Porsche warranty look good value!
Agree with that :)

Tobyone said:
I will have a look at that later thanks.
58 mins so it should say a far bit
To be fair they do not go on about the issues (this owner did not have any but only had it 7 months) just the depreciation and running costs. Could have been a 20-minute video.

G2 said:
McLaren appear to focus only on the next new car sale which will mean thier customers pay the price through high servicing costs and poor residuals.

Very true, in 2016 McLaren said they have 15 new cars (spiders and coupes etc) scheduled for release till 2022. YOu know what that will do to values of current models.

squelch said:
Tobyone said:
Mmmm you may be right.

So does this mean the 12c is about to be an utter bargain.
I have not read anywhere any horror stories, yes a few niggles here and there and like our 911s if you don't look after them, use the correct oil etc they will cause an expensive break of the wallet.
Possibly - if you're lucky. On the other hand it could be an utter money pit or ticking time bomb. The 12C suffers gearbox / oil seal issues and apparently it's >£20k for McL to do the job. When I was looking I joined a McL group on FBook and it's amazing what "foibles" owners report / tolerate.
I've heard from a friend who's ordered a new McL that they will not take a 12C in px unless there's at least £30k margin in it because of the issues they have. I also heard (from someone on here I think) that a bodyshop they went to recently had loads of McL's there due to corrosion issues.

It's a weepy gearbox oil seal, most have had it done but thorney can fix for a few grand, needs a fair bit dismantling to fix. But it's not such a big issue anymore. I've been looking at these myself, but the warranty is expensive.

991.1 GT, if it comes down to a reasonable level of depreciation, the g engine with the warranty would be a good bet. But I'm not paying overs for it on principal.

Was not planning on ever selling my 997.2 turbo, however a Mclaren has become available which I'm extremely tempted to buy.

Need to decide in the next week or so whether to proceed with the purchase.

I've got a few friends from the factory who would service the car for me.

Otherwise £499 for a minor service from John at Thorney Motorsport/ £1500 from main dealer

£2400 for a major service from main dealer

Bikeracer1098 said:
Was not planning on ever selling my 997.2 turbo, however a Mclaren has become available which I'm extremely tempted to buy.

We never say never :) which model McLaren?

apollokre1d said:
Bikeracer1098 said:

MP4 12C or possibly a 650S

Bikeracer1098 said:
apollokre1d said:
Bikeracer1098 said:

MP4 12C or possibly a 650S

£3,600pa for the warranty puts me off. And you can't sell one without the warranty it appears, even if you've had it inspected with a Colini stick. Some suggestion 12C prices have bottomed out so depreciation may be nominal unlike some of the others that fall out of bed :what:

So I'm watching that show that wraps cars, they have a McLaren in for a make over and the battery dies whilst in the workshop. I thought the Porsche tax was taking the Mickey.
A replacement battery for a 12C is £2800 plus it needs to be done by McLaren to code the new battery in at what ever their hourly labour rate is. £2800! :eek: :eek: :eek:

FZP said:
So I'm watching that show that wraps cars, they have a McLaren in for a make over and the battery dies whilst in the workshop. I thought the Porsche tax was taking the Mickey.
A replacement battery for a 12C is £2800 plus it needs to be done by McLaren to code the new battery in at what ever their hourly labour rate is. £2800! :eek: :eek: :eek:
:bonk: :sad:
I am genuinely staggered at this figure.
Simply nuts and makes Porsche-tax spares seem as cheap as chips.
Why ever own a 12C (or any other McLaren) for the medium to long-term with this sword of Damocles hanging over your head. :?:

DRZ911 said:
FZP said:
Why ever own a 12C (or any other McLaren) for the medium to long-term with this sword of Damocles hanging over your head. :?:

I bet when you peel the McLaren sticker off it says.....MOLL !

McLaren is only ever a rent per lap for me and then a bit dull. The laptime fanbois love them though. Each to their own.

G2 said:
DRZ911 said:
FZP said:

I bet when you peel the McLaren sticker off it says.....MOLL !

McLaren is only ever a rent per lap for me and then a bit dull. The laptime fanbois love them though. Each to their own.
I saw that too. It was an A123 Systems battery so probably the original and I'm amazed it's lasted this long to be honest - they went out of business in 2012 (subsequently purchased and resurrected). I was dealing with the world's largest battery manufacturers at the time and I had some fraught dealings with McLaren trying to broker a deal on supplying them with batteries - they were bricking it, as was my boss who had just taken delivery of a new MP4-12C having promised McLaren we would be the answer to their problems!

FZP said:

If that's true, it'll put me right off, I've noticed the 12C prices, look very tempting, but not with that kind of maintenance. However, might be something Thorney has a fix for, for a tenth of the price. Definitely a question to ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back