Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sharkwerks 4.1 conversion 997.1 GT3

I have carbon brakes on mine so already light at each corner

The point with weight reduction is to make the car (or make it feel) as light as possible. Even with those brakes I'd still go for lighter wheels as you will still feel the difference. I weighed my OZs and OEM wheels when I changed over and the saving was 7kg across the rear axle and 4kg on the front, so 11kg total on unsprung mass, equivalent to approx 60kg sprung mass weight reduction. Would you want an easy additional 60kg weight saving over what you have now or not is the question. Buckets will only save you about maybe 15/20kg net. Up to you obviously what you decide to do though.... :thumb:

Hi Roro
What wheels did you go for.👍

Roro said:
Darren have you decided what to do? It's a big investment... if I was going to do something similar then I'd rather have someone UK based doing the work (I'm assuming your quotation with Sharkwerks involved shipping your car there and back? Or was there a UK a partner who would do the work in the UK?)

Regal Autosport :

http://www.regalautosport.com

were/are Sharkwerks UK representatives.
When I briefly considered doing a 3.9 on my 997.1 GT3 (whilst in discussion with SW they announced their 4.0/4.1 conversion).
Regal were going to remove and strip the engine, and Alex was going to fly over and oversee the build, the mapping was due to be done remotely by GIAC.

Slippydiff said:
Cunno said:
Slippydiff said:
evodarren said:
I had thoughts of doing a Sharkwerks conversion. Originally they only did a 3.9 litre conversion but now do a 4.1 version. There is an article of the 4.1 version in Total 911 magazine. Good reviews 540hp and 400 lbs torque.
My GT3 is a car I love and would love to keep for a long period.
Just got a quotation for the work just under $57,000. I'm sure it will be an amazing car. My engine is still running sweet. Its a lot of Bucks for horsepower. Could buy a lot of driving tuition.

My advice. Save your money, the mods you're suggesting won't improve the car to the tune of £45K.
But if you MUST do it, just go factory 4.0 RS/RSR crank, Mahle Motorsport 3.8 pistons and liners, a pair of Cup heads, some uprated cams from FVD and a 4.0 inlet manifold and a decent set of exhaust manifolds/cats exhaust system.

I'd respectfully suggest you DON'T use CTR developments as someone suggested.

Cunno said:
That made me giggle that list of parts + installation must be pushing £40k as Porsche have hiked the part prices in the last 2 years?

Well I do like to amuse whenever possible J :grin:

4.0 RS/RSRS crank fairly reasonable, shells and thrusts very lumpy.
Mahle 3.8 liners/pistons approx £5k
A decent set of Carillos run to about £3k
Cup heads £1800 for a pair of M/Sport
Cams ? Use the guys you used, or go Shrick, the latter will cost £7k
Exhaust ? A set of 997 Cup manifolds with some custom link pipes to a standard 997 GT3 centre box should do the trick for sensible money.

Cunno said:
How you getting on with your car?
:pc:

Recieved this whilst holidaying in Lz last Friday :

ScLlqzu.jpg

I think the new enlarged door mirrors will look great once painted and the glasses have been fitted :mrgreen:

Slippy I hope you let me have a go once this is built - 996 GT3 defo on my bucket list. Looks amazing

Evening I, I'm sure we can arrange something, as I'd like to drive your yellow peril too ... :thumb:

Slippydiff said:
Evening I, I'm sure we can arrange something, as I'd like to drive your yellow peril too ... :thumb:

Can't wait. You're gong to have educate me re the pros/cons of mk1 v mk 2 6 GT3 over a beer.

Re the 993 my God the noise as you gun it round to 7200 in each gear - lordy! Have to give credit to 9m. They've built an amazing engine which feels very one of its 330 ponies. Will betaking her down to Litchfield to dyno when it warms up a bit :wink:

Interesting that Matt Farah refers to 1st gear in the 4.1 as being redundant, because the tyres light up after 5,000rpm.

Linear power curve too.... it all sort of makes me think perhaps the 3.9 is the sweet spot?

Diggermeister said:
Interesting that Matt Farah refers to 1st gear in the 4.1 as being redundant, because the tyres light up after 5,000rpm.

Linear power curve too.... it all sort of makes me think perhaps the 3.9 is the sweet spot?

Still tempted to send my car over the pond. I just love my gt3 keep it until I'm old.

evodarren said:
Diggermeister said:

Still tempted to send my car over the pond. I just love my gt3 keep it until I'm old.

I think if I was making that kind of spend it would be at Manthey or Fearnsport.

The reason sharkwerks do well is because the septics are too far from Siverstone or Nürburg.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back