Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Learn something new everyday (Run Flat tyres)

vlad

Hi, didn't know you aren't allowed to repair run flats?

daughter has a set on her Mini, they were new about 6 months ago, this week she got a torx bit through the tread of one and its toast.

I know a few people on the forum have minis - do you run the RFT's or have you moved to normal tyres?
I must admit I quite like the firm ride of the RFT's, would normal tyres make a big difference? Not going to change them at the moment but maybe after we get another year out of the current set. :?:

I have very limited experience of these but i do remember they are a very strange construction inside and a repair not being allowed would make sense to me .

I think if it was my car i would wait till all the tyres were low then swop to a normal set of tyres .. they can be repaired ... and i expect a fair bit cheaper.

Run flats are as it says on the tin .. the tyre stays ridgid with little or no pressure enableing you to go a bit further .

If your in an area prone to punctures or have no way of replaceing a blown tyre ( a spare ) then perhaps .. for me .. i just feel its a little over kill and a bit expensive .

I dont really like a hard ride so a bit biased .

I had run flats on a Land Cruiser and one day the inner construction broke causing an almost uncontrollable high speed wobble. That was my first and last experience of run flats. Even limping home at low speed was difficult. Had it have been an inexperienced driver, it could have ended very differently.

Years ago when I had a car with Runflat tyres you couldn`t put "normal" tyres on those wheels, they were different rims, so you had to buy a new set of wheels and tyres. I`m not sure if that is the case these days :?:

As usual, there's much rubbish written on this topic. That's the Internet for you.

Repair to BSAU 159 can be done, but only where the manufacturer doesn't explicitly forbid it. The blanket ban is not there and the tyre sidewall will say when the repair should not be attempted.

Girlfriends mini has run flat tyres and the ride is to quote Clarkson "like falling down stairs with leg calipers on"..

Awful things :what:

Magic919 said:
As usual, there's much rubbish written on this topic. That's the Internet for you.

Repair to BSAU 159 can be done, but only where the manufacturer doesn't explicitly forbid it. The blanket ban is not there and the tyre sidewall will say when the repair should not be attempted.

This ,the only reason some national tyre services won't repair them is they don't know how far they have been driven whilst not fully inflated .

They can be repaired but most national type places give you a load of bollocks to get you to buy new. :roll: They try that on with the 'get you home' gunk as well.

I've got them (Pirelli) on my Mini and whilst the ride is good on adaptive dampers, Pirelli are shiote and if you hit a deep pothole chances are you'll end up with a bulge in the sidewall - so far this has happened twice to me writing them off :pc:

I was under the impression the sidewall on runflat are 'reinforced'. They aint but are designed to 'lock together' when you get a puncture.

Top tip never buy a Mini with 18" wheels especially with Pirelli runflats :roll: I'm trialling Bridgestone runflat at the moment which appears light years ahead of Pirelli

Hateful things; when I had a BMW the standard advice was to change them for ordinary tyres as soon as funds allowed (Michelin or Continental being favoured non-runflat brands). Doing so made a big and beneficial difference to ride quality, especially if you had M Sport suspension.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back