Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Collected my 997.1 GT3 today!

infrasilver said:
NXI20 said:
My money's on one or more of the idler pulleys. They don't like being sat around unused. Get out in it more :wack:

Agreed, if you had driven it, it would have gone quiet after a few miles.

The funny thing is I started the car first thing and I thought I heard a bit of a squeak from the engine but nothing major. I then drove about 5/6 miles to fill up petrol. When I started the car after filling up the belt noise was much louder, so decided to can the Centre Gravity trip and come home. I would have thought the noise would quieten down too once warm, but it didn't it seemed to be getting louder :dont know:

NXI20 said:
Spa is still OK ime. It went from 107 to 105 driveby a few years back but I've never tripped the meters there & my car is, erm, a bit noisier than standard :floor:

I hadn't noticed :grin:

This thread still going!

Nearly 8 years and counting :grin:

I'll print this off and attach it to my car's history file if I ever sell. It's more than just a thread it's a lifestyle :floor:

Great thread!

Cheers :thumb:

Update on that strange belt noise

Visited Peter @ Tognola who listened with a stethoscope and isolated the noise to the alternator - not the bearings though - most likely the brushes. He said it's fine to drive the car as-is, but I'll probably replace the alternator sooner rather than later. I've never changed it and the car is 12 years old now, so the alternator is probably nearing the end of its useful life... No issues with starting the engine or anything like that though, but will get it sorted

Finally managed to get out on track earlier in the week, first trackday in over 4 years. Good to be back and remember what this car is all about. Good to catch up with Cunno again and meet Diggameister. Also met a bunch of new faces from PH (thanks for the intros Jon :thumb:)

Donington is a great track, would love to get to know it better. Chances will be limited though given they only have unrestricted noise days once in a blue moon (****ing ridiculous if you ask me given there's a ****ing airport next door??). Still, life is about dealing with stupid rules at the end of the day and getting on with it regardless. I'm not too sure about the 2 hairpins at the end though on the GP circuit we were doing, seemed a bit unnecessary as they interrupted the flow of the rest of the track. Ade said the hairpins were added to make the track the required length for racing, but a shame nevertheless. Again, stupid rules for the sake of stupid rules...

Next trackday is Snetterton which will be fun as I'm pretty sure I'll be too loud, will take the silencers :grin:

Oh, another update on that belt noise. Matt @Porschacare had a listen a couple weeks back and said it's not the alternator it's the belt. The noise has calmed down since the trackday, the car was just clearly whingeing at not being taken out on track

Attachments

• 3076318e_ee59_4bb3_81f1_ae6f43124e3e_342.jpeg
    3076318e_ee59_4bb3_81f1_ae6f43124e3e_342.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,072
  • 2a0b8299_a41a_4f35_80cb_04f8f13fcdd1_128.jpeg
    2a0b8299_a41a_4f35_80cb_04f8f13fcdd1_128.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6,072
Christ on a crutch, how much does that abomination cost?

Haha. I can't remember what I paid, had that contraption fabricated maybe 5 years ago now. I think 2/300 probably. NXI sells Decibel Devil style silencers with down pipes on Uber9s. I tried looking for the link but couldn't find the page. Those might be the way forward, if I decide not to put the car's old silencer back in and these silencers I have are indeed as useless as bringing a shovel to a knife fight

Roro said:
Haha. I can't remember what I paid, had that contraption fabricated maybe 5 years ago now. I think 2/300 probably. NXI sells Decibel Devil style silencers with down pipes on Uber9s. I tried looking for the link but couldn't find the page. Those might be the way forward, if I decide not to put the car's old silencer back in and these silencers I have are indeed as useless as bringing a shovel to a knife fight

We got them from ACT link below

https://www.actproducts.co.uk/produ...ing_wp_cron=1561214052.1927590370178222656250

Fernnsport / Uber9s do a nicer version which replace the bolt on tail pipes. Lasource ran at Silly with them after he had been blacked flagged, they did the job and ran all day without an further issue.

I was looking for the uber9s cans on their website but couldn't find them :dont know:

Good to hear a testimonial on them, there's never any figures given on dB reductions for these type of exhaust products. For Snetterton my approach will be 1) vacuum plug trick 2) vacuum plug truck + Decibel Ds 3) vacuum plus the ACT cans to get by the static test. Then hopefully just the DDs will be enough to prevent tripping the drive by meters :?:

I got BF'd at Snetterton once and the nazi knob head tugged in the wrong car...I only found out as I went to race control to moan about it. Some of these lot have no clue what's up.

Just read this thread from start to finish. Brilliant 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back