Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 Air Filter Change

michelin said:
Could anybody explain why then that the current GT3 RS has a BMC air filter installed from new? :dont know:
p.s. Cracking read by the way RL :thumb:

thats an interesting curveball :grin: I will wait here and see what those in the know have to say :?:

michelin said:
Could anybody explain why then that the current GT3 RS has a BMC air filter installed from new? :dont know:
p.s. Cracking read by the way RL :thumb:

That's an interesting one!

It looks like the 991 GT3 has paper filters but the RS has BMC filters in what appears to be a very similar if not identical layout.

The RS has an extra 20PS from a NA engine and the systems appear otherwise identical.
Perhaps in the quest for ultimate power it could be that the standard GT3 system had no further opportunity for improvement given the packaging space and compromises are now being made (Law of diminishing returns...). One of the reasons Porsche probably allowed this compromise would be that GT3 RS's are probably expected to be used sparingly compared with the 'run of the mill' 911.

However i will reiterate my original points, the flow velocity through the element is probably very high which is why the BMC filters were chosen for the RS model only, there was probably no further opportunities to reduce flow restriction, also note that the air box layout was retained rather than moving to exposed cone filters.

Clearly the best comprise for the job on every other 911 variant is the paper element + an air cleaner.
Swapping to a BMC filter in a lower power 911 variant will not yield the same results as the GT3 RS as the flow velocities will be much lower.

:)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back