Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 gear knob - the top cap (with numbers on!) - buy/referb?

johnt993997

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:30 am Post subject: 997 gear knob - the top cap (with numbers on!) - buy/referb? Reply with quote
Hi all,

The top cap (part right on the top of the gear knob with the gear numbers / pattern recessed into it) looks a tiny bit tired in my car (and in most I looked at) - has anyone found these for sale separately? (and good quality?).
I tried design911 but they said they can only see it as part of a complete gear knob assembly which is a bit pricey (circa £150 for gt3.)
A big part of the motivation is that I love the finish of the gt3 one and as I'm getting some lovely 'royal' alcantara parts installed I'd like the top cap to look the part.
Or perhaps has anyone refurbed it themselves? Any tips and advice on what colour might give a close to gt3 match?

Cheers all

(image I think shows gt3 knob, but fitted to non gt3)

Attachments

• screenshot_20190116_025621_204.png
    screenshot_20190116_025621_204.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,522
I had the same issue and bought a second hand knob assembly complete and simply replaced the top part you refer to. Cheapest way I could find :)

I removed mine ,the same Alcantara one you have sent the cap to wicked coatings along with a few other bits they custom painted in body colour the gear gauge bit cleaned the rest and re lacquered it. but you could easily DIY it.This was before finding my X97 knob.

sorry its not a very good pic and it was before I cleaned the alcantara with a soft nail brush and soapy water which made it look like new

Attachments

• img_2253_764.jpg
    img_2253_764.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,439
systech1 said:
I had the same issue and bought a second hand knob assembly complete and simply replaced the top part you refer to. Cheapest way I could find :)

Yup, this is what I did as well! Usually some lurking around on ebay

I would try heating it to soften any glue, and gently prying it off. Spray paint, then lacquer.

It will mean the numbers are the same colour as the rest, but I don't think that would matter.

I would imagine Jack at Royal could tell you how to remove it as he must do so to retrim.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back