Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to get compression marks out of rear seat leather?

MarkC4S

I foolishly left some heavy books on the back seats. They have left dents in the leather. Does anybody have any ideas about how to go about reversing the damage. The leather surface is not abraded or marked, just dented where the foam underneath has compressed and allowed the leather to stretch. Thanks

I think it's a hair dryer job from memory. YouTube is your friend on this one

Yes you'll need to get some heat onto the marks. I did the same thing when I put a small carry on suitcase on the back seat :frustrated:

I used a heat gun on the lowest setting and got about 80% of it out before losing my nerve thinking I was about to burn the leather.

They use my steam irons in Aston Martin production but they have teflon shoes on to reduce he contact temp.
So if you do use an iron use a cloth or something to prevent direct contact with the sole plate.
The steam will work wonders.

Heat gun and you need to be carefull !!

I would use a flunky soaked in water as hot as possible then press onto the area .. manipulate the leather when warm if needed .

I say i would use .. i have done this several times in the past and gotten the results i was after.

very useful thread as I have some dents in my rear seats so will try the hair dryer and hot towel route too. thanks,

I have a dent in one of my rear seats, has been there since I've had the car, tried hot towels and hair dryer but hasn't made any difference at all, maybe I'm being a bit too cautious with the heat :?:

...a soaking wet hot flunky :eek: Iain you are awful but we do love you :floor:

I wasn't sure if people were using a wet or dry towel, I suspected the former but was nervous about introducing water into the equation.

I therefore tried the hair dryer approach first. Managed to remove/reduce 3 out of the 4 marks to the point where they don't matter any more, as hardly noticeable. One dent was deeper and 50% improved. After all the heat I rubbed in some Gliptone leather conditioner and did some massaging.

I will return to the final mark and may now try the hot towel. Hoping for a happy ending
:grin: :roll: :floor:

A note of caution. I managed to break my wife's hairdryer doing this and got into no end of trouble.

A friend used a proper heat gun.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back