Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smeared Windows / Window Seals

jags320i

Guys I need some help on this as it is doing my head in!

Car in question is a 2007 C4s with 60k on the clock.

The issue is whenever I wash/detail the car and I lower the windows a few days later (even though it's been dry outside) I notice that there are smear marks left on the outer side of the windows. This is happening on both driver and passenger windows.

The other day I cleaned the seals by using a spatula and a micro fibre cloth dipped in some vinegar and ran it through between the window and the seals hoping to clean and grease or dirt which may be causing this but no luck.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and what was the solution?

Here are some pics:

The spatula which I used to run through between the window and seals:
20arifk.jpg

The dirt on the MF cloth after cleaning the seals:
23itjrq.jpg

The smears left on the windows after using them a few days later (They run up all the way to where the window was opened to):

2ry57qr.jpg

2vj4b9d.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Ooh... good one! I get this on my 911 and 3 series coupe!

:popcorn:

You are stuck with it. We have had two 997s for nearly 12 years and constant smears.

It is particularly annoying that I need to drop the window to swipe my access card to get into the office car park as the window is rendered opaque every single day... twice a day.

i have the same.....glad to hear others have it but at same time it annoys the scheit out of me

I have tried to clean it all and taken it all apart but no luck

i just keep a couple of microfibre cloth in each side now in the pocket where the elbow sits and that helps my OCD.....until I open the window again

:sad: :dont know:

I had the seals replaced under warranty

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your responses...

Jam911 said:
I had the seals replaced under warranty
Did this solve the issue? I've had a look prices on the seals and they are around £100 each which is not bad and I'm pretty sure changing them over is a DIY job.

Having read the links and doing some further research all fingers are pointed to the window regulators as the culprit. There was a post put up on the forum where it set a guy back £700 for each door/window!

That is a lot of money to have clean windows! I'm struggling to understand to why the regulator would be the cause of this as one would assume it would be something like seals etc....?

I presume it's just stuff from lower down in the door, maybe the metallic membrane, that smears on the window. Can't say I've ever had it fixed and gave up trying.

Ill just add .. window seal is a possible but if the streaks are in the middle of the window ...

Part of the regulator is a bowden cable .. a wire in a tube basically .. it has a rubber outer layer on it in the middle of this cable .. it SHOULD be clipped to the door panel but if it comes loose it will rub against the window .. it will get wet like everything else in the door and causes smears .

No way of finding out unless you remove the door card / membrain or inner panel.

This is only for a smear in the very middle of the window though .

Basically other than the top seal there is nothing in the door that will touch the window .

Try a deep clean of the glass, both in side and out. Use a claybar and magic eraser type sponge lubricated with car shampoo. Dry thoroughly and add a layer of wax or sealant. This prevents streaks for a couple of months.

deMort said:
Ill just add .. window seal is a possible but if the streaks are in the middle of the window ...

Part of the regulator is a bowden cable .. a wire in a tube basically .. it has a rubber outer layer on it in the middle of this cable .. it SHOULD be clipped to the door panel but if it comes loose it will rub against the window .. it will get wet like everything else in the door and causes smears .

This is only for a smear in the very middle of the window though .

Basically other than the top seal there is nothing in the door that will touch the window .

I'm coming think that it most probably the window seals themselves.... Here are some more pics of the smears which run across the whole window... As you mentioned the window seal is the last thing that touches the window once the window comes out of the door:

Any further thoughts?

2cmrayx.jpg

n1xohk.jpg

:floor: I thought it was only me. This issue was driving me mad.............so mad I stop putting my window down :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back