Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manifolds - induction

jond58

So this spring I'd like to remove my manifolds and replace with some shiny ones I've had for a while. I was going to get my Indy to do this and soak the bolts with kroil and pb blaster before it went to them. However, interesting development as I've managed to bag a 140 sqm unit with a four post lift to rent from March time onwards!! So I'll have enough to do them myself, quite mechanically competent i was considering hiring a Stomski jig but has anyone any experience with these induction loops to heat the bolt??!! I'm fancying getting one and I don't mind been the guinea pig that tries in first but would value opinions

If you use any heat source, the trick is not the heat but the process. All about thermal expansion & contraction. Heat up to cheery red, quench the bolt with water, then apply movement. Repeat until bolt is out and never try and force anything.

Yeah normally I'd soak up and use some MAP gas direct on the bolt. Managed to remove all from a 27year old nc30 motorcycle without breaking any but the induction loops look almost too good to be true!

I reckon itll work, just needs loads of work from you too, heating, cooling, twistin, turnin. The best method IMHO.

I bought the Draper one when removing my exhaust https://www.drapertools.com/product/80808/Induction-Heating-Tool-Kit-(1-75kW)
I only needed it on the turbo to exhaust stud nuts.
It did work. It took several attempts during the first 5 or 6 tries on each nut nothing seemed to be happening, then Lo the nut (and just the nut) starts to glow. I got them a nice bright red and then they undid easily.

I can't speak for the longevity of the unit tho as I forgot it and left it powered on in the workshop overnight, just powered on, not passing induction current, and it was dead in the morning. Just out of warranty too :sad:

I think I'd just gave to use the traditional hot spanner. I'm lucky enough to have manifolds already but am I right in saying they need to come off to change the spark plugs?
If they're coming off, I think I'll port them for added good measure.

Out of curiosity, how much is it to hire the loop?
Not sure if I can hire one over here(Northern Ireland)

Not sure about hire costs price wise they range from £200 for the cheap Chinese ones upwards, think that the draper one is around £550. The advantage over oxy is that there is no flame, direct heat to the bolt/nut. Glad to hear someone had some success anyway

I've hands like shovels and changing the plugs on my 996 is easier than changing the one single plug on my Vespa.

I'm also planning to make a start on replacing my manifolds in the next month or so and am tempted by these £200 induction heaters :?:

I really look forward to seeing how these work out. I wil need to do these on my C2 at some point.

MC

I've just had a quick look under mine. According to my history, my manifolds were fitted about 5 years ago iirc. Gave the bolts a clean up as they were very crusty and a splash of dw40. I'll get them off to do the plugs at some stage but I'm in no panic. The brackets that bolt on for the exhaust have had it so I'll just make some when I'm at it.

I'll be doing mine first job when I'm in the unit so probably end of March. Obviously I'll post up the results whether they be 'worked like a dream' or 'does anyone have a stomski jig I could borrow' !!!

I did mine a couple of years ago - horrible job. Used an oxy acetylene torch to heat them but lot of mine snapped in the head.

One tool I would recommend is the laser impact stud extractor. 20 quid or so from machine mart. I've had zero success in the past with traditional stud extractors but this was really useful for me. It's like a left handed still mandrel. Placed over any snapped studs the more you 'undo' the more the jaws tighten round the stud. You obviously have to have a bit of the stud exposed but managed to get a lot of my snapped bolts out with it. For the ones that snapped flush I used the stomski jig to drill them out

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/too...NSEfn4EKlN9akayqHiS2UFammzYFQykCQaAu1pEALw_wc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back