Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What price did the 993 bottom out at?

Alex

Yesterday I was chatting to a mate in the local boozer and he was telling me about his Iris Blue 993 he once owned. He was telling me how much he'd paid and sold it for and couldn't believe how much they'd inflated since. Bought for £27k and sold for £11k. At what price did the 993 bottom out and when?

£11k :eek: It must have been very high mileage and/or very tatty.

I was seriously in the market for a 911 in 2008 and 993s were at their lowest values. I didn't see any non-Cat cars advertised for under £20k.

Most sensible mileage dealer cars were £22k+, about the same as late Gen1 996s and early Gen2 996s, so I'm assuming that they were trading at about £18k. Obviously high mileage cars would have been worth less but even so ........ £11k. :?:

.......and he traded it in for a 996.

I'm happy to be educated by anyone that was 'in the know' back then but my thoughts are that your mate's memory is playing tricks.

He's sharp as knife, I doubt it.

On the upside he acquired that private plate virtually free.

I think the bottom was 2008 to 2011

In 2010 I sold a 2nd owner, FSH, 993 4S, man car for £20k (133k miles), nearly bought it back a year later for £23k (it had a suspension refresh in the meantime)

At the time you could get a decent 993 coupe man, with around 80k miles for early £20's, and decent turbos were mid to late £40s.

My boss in 2011, valued his 993 C2S, with 40k miles (and just subject to a £6k paint job, as well as the winner of a Porsche concourse prize) at £26k (it was a coupe, but trip) - had it been a manual, it would have been probably closer to £40k

A ropey cat d trip could be had for £8k.

Values today are about 250% higher
but this is nothing compared to pre'72 cars which are about 600% higher

I bought Aug 2010 and prices were as low as I'd seen. Northway were looking for about £16-£17k for a decent 100k mile 993, and I bought mine for less!

When I started researching buying my first 911 in late 2009 / early 2010 the 993 range were mid to late £20's for decent cars with average mileages. I test drove a 993 and concluded, similar to the driver at the start of the P'Heads thread that the 996 was the one to go for. Lighter, faster, more usable as a daily driver. My view hasn't changed.

Alex, £11k seems low, but 2008 was the start of the financial crash so it's plausible his timing was just lousy. Though if he got as good a price on what he changed for then that's all that matters. What did he swap it for and what did he pay for that? :?:

In 2005 you could pick up a 964 for 10k and a 993 was not much more.
As ever the best cars even then as a percentage were significantly more.

I know it was a Gen 1 996 but that's about it. I'll ask him when I see him. He had an 80's 911 before the 993.

His story around acquiring the plate was amazing. It was on a clapped out Hillman Minx dumped at a mates garage. To get the plate transferred off the car it had to be road legal (the car was beyond help). I'll not go into the detail of what he did but it involved borrowing a random pensioner's Minx, putting the plates on and getting an MOT certificate :grin:

The things you could get away with back in the 80s :eek:

The Wheeler dealer one was purchased at 12k from memory

FZP said:
The Wheeler dealer one was purchased at 12k from memory

Another mate (Francis) was the buyer. He only kept it a couple of months and moved it on. Hated the suspension mod they'd done on it.

Besides the suspension, what did he think of the quality of Eds work?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back