Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

5W30

ballcock said:
Thanks Marky, can you give some more detail on the work done to cure the hot idle roughness?

Also, and I should have mentioned earlier, when I switch my air con on I do NOT get the few hundred rpm increase that some mention here, so I can't use this to increase idle and therefore the oil pressure.
Interestingly the aircon does work, difficult to assess during cooler months but it clears condensation very quickly once on ....

Something is not quite right.

Clean out and check the operation of your idle valve (if a tip is cable throttle?) and throttle body, check for vacuum leaks, and check the MAF.

Thanks wasz, will get that done.

Hi Ballcock,

My fault was probably a very rare one. A previous owner, or whoever fitted my K&N with induction pipe, refitted the MAF sensor 180 degrees round so it was facing the wrong way. :grin:

I had done most of what Wasz mentions before that though as weirdly the MAF never threw up a fault code until this years service.

Anyway mine ticks over really nicely now. Having said that they are never like a 6 cylinder BMW. Again, another bonus of the 3.6s with the later and better Motronic, is that they tick over that bit nicer, as well as sounding that bit better too (due to Variocam+).

:thumbs:

Thanks for that Marky.
180 degrees off
You have to wonder sometimes! :roll:

as long as the oil is changed regularly then anything from 5w 40 to 10w 50 fully synth should see you right.

some folks do every 6 months if used hard but 12 months is good.

I am not comfortable with the every 2 years in the 997. due an oil drop soon and going to use 5w40 fully synth as had 10 litres left from the 996.

... Worried now :grin:

A 996 does tend to raise the idle when the a/c is turned on .. 997 and it tends to be pretty stable .

This is basically a pre map setting .. the car is told there is a load on the engine and so raises the idle to compensate.

If yours doesnt do this then you would start with fault codes .. there should be something , or it might be the load of the a/c pump is actually canceling out the rev increase .

Im not sure there is a problem there atm to be honest but i would class it as further inv . req .

Oil pressure of 1 bar is pretty much what any Porsche will acheive on a hot engine .. modern cars have a variable oil pressure control (an oil pump puts a load on the engine ) so it increases engine power by reduceing the pump pressure .

EDIT .. i forgot i was in the 996 section and answered as a 997 question .. deleted and re did it :D

Im old :p

:grin:

Not as old as my wife tells me I am :p

A related question in respect to faulty senders.

1. When turning on the ignition (and not starting the car), my oil pressure needle moves off the bottom and moves to the 0. Is that normal? as I've just recently replaced mine.

2. When cold and driving, it never moves beyond 4. Seems little low to me.

Are both these readings normal
:?:

Gauge sounds fine P911.

I was as clear as mud in my other post when I said if it rises off bottom.
I'm picturing bottom as "0".
Ignition on, engine off, gauge should read no more than zero.

4 bar cold pressure sounds a bit low. Mine is at max on cold starts.

The gauges are all over the place. My pals starts at 5.0 bar on a cold start. Never goes below 2 bar when properly hot.
Mine only goes to 4.5 on cold start, drops to 1 after 20 ish minutes.
And now P911 yours only reaches 4.0 ..
it seems the only thing worth bothering about is the low oil pressure light if it ever appears.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back