Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My Vesuvio(us) Metallic 911 996 C2

In the absence of anything serious or anything at all going wrong with my car in a year the best thing to happen to this thread is some spam.

Because I didn't seal my door up properly last time I changed the regulator I had a wet shagpile at the bottom of my door card causing moisture in the car.

I whipped the door card off a couple of weeks back to dry out and have been driving round without it for a week or so which is just annoying.

I decided to seal it up properly and use the proper stuff (I just pushed the membrane back last time as I thought the old butyl was still sticky and it lasted a good few years). When I say properly, the top half was well stuck so I just left it, I just redid the bottom half.

So I got some butyl tape from ebay £5.98. I bought 6x5mm that I cut in half with scissors.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUTYL-SN...SCREEN-METAL-PANELS-BODY-SUNROOF/263278517502

I cleaned the door panel with meths to get old dust and residue off.

t7Y3SITl.jpg

I used a heat gun on the door panel to warm it up a bit, then stuck some butyl tape on the door following the original path. I then heat gunned it again and pushed it onto the door with the backing tape to get a good stick and seal the joins near the trim clip holes.

5WWSuodl.jpg

I left the old butyl on the membrane as there was no way it was coming off. Then pushed the membrane onto the warm butyl and quickly pushed the door card back on.

Oh and I flipped the fire extinguisher bracket as I kept hitting the handle with my foot getting in when in tight parking spaces.

1FVWEfNl.jpg
[/img]

Funny story with the wrecked floor mat....

:thumb:

Good little fix. I should probably re do mine as I've had the door cards off and on for the respray.

Go on then, what happened with the floor mat? :grin:

Marky911 said:
Good little fix. I should probably re do mine as I've had the door cards off and on for the respray.

Go on then, what happened with the floor mat? :grin:

If you do, try and find some thinner stuff, I had to cut it down its length with scissors which was fun with it sticking to itself. Helped its freezing cold today though, and hence why I needed the heat gun to soften it. The butyl stuff is apparently what they use from the factory and far less messy than using silicon sealant.

Hmmm the floor mat........

Well after an MOT I was overjoyed at another pass with no advisories so I took it for a joy ride well out in the moors. I found a perfectly straight mile long road with great visibility and wondered what was down there.

Now I live in the sticks and this is a road with no paved passing places, at all, and the grass verge drops down away from the road.

6p8lBPC.png

Once I'd decided I had my fun I needed to turn around as I had no idea where the road went.

Because of the verge I thought it would be a really bad idea to put my wheels on the grass so I kept going a bit. And a bit more. And a bit more. Was this the never ending road?

I found a built up flattish looking bit of verge obviously intended as a passing place, but with perfect croquet quality nibbled grass. That was very very soggy.

So I gingerly reversed onto it....

Of course when I put the car in first to go forwards the wheels just span on the wet grass.

But worse...as they were spinning the car was actually moving backwards.

Because the verge here was built up a bit, there was a 1ft drop at the edge which my newly MOT's 996 was moving very slowly towards and about 2ft from doom.

I sat and berated my stupidity for a while and thought about my next action.

Any one of the options would result in massive embarrassment:
A) ring my wife for a tow
B) ring a mate for a tow
C) ring breakdown service

Each of those has the added complication of describing where the hell I was and why was I there?

C) wait for a passing motorist or a farmer on a very little used road in the middle of nowhere.

You can see there is absolutely nothing around, no trees, no gravel, not even a mobile signal ...... just sheep.

So I decided to sacrifice my floor mats in the quest for traction.

The mats were free with the car as the originals (which I have too) are very light grey and completely impractical.

I shoved one as best I could under each rear wheel.

The car went a mat length - great success!

Unfortunately the driver's mat was stuck under a wheel which was spinning on it (hence the lines now cut into in the mat).

I got out with the car in gear and one wheel spinning on my mat to think about my options.

wasz said:
So I decided to sacrifice my floor mats in the quest for traction.

The mats were free with the car as the originals (which I have too) are very light grey and completely impractical.

I shoved one as best I could under each rear wheel.

The car went a mat length - great success!

Unfortunately the driver's mat was stuck under a wheel which was spinning on it (hence the lines now cut into in the mat).

I got out with the car in gear and one wheel spinning on my mat to think about my options.

Haha! Classic get you out of trouble technique! You can use sticks for the same purpose (had to do this on snow once) - except of course in your case there no trees around either.
Wonder if wool would have worked?...

:grin:

Excellent.
I can imagine the feeling of the wheels spinning forward but the car still moving backwards towards the drop.
At least you got out with the car relatively unscathed.

:thumb:

I can feel the stress just reading your description!!! Nice bit of cool headed thinking......

Ha! Glad you are all taking pleasure in this...

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I was dressed in work trousers, neatly pressed shirt and very smart, expensive leather soled shoes I wear when I need to be smart at work.

Not very appropriate for sliding around on muddy wet grass!

"”"”

So my car was on wet grass one wheel spinning on a muddy floor mat.

It was in gear, door wide open pointed at the tarmac and I was stood next to it pondering my next move.

In a moment of sheer brilliance / idiocy I grabbed the mat from the other side and shoved it under the spinning wheel, hoping it would catch and grip.

Of course the wheel gripped and the driverless car headed off towards the tarmac.

So what was at the end of the road Wasz?
I think you need to revisit it.

To conclude this story, I managed to get my driverless 996 off the grass by going from side to side shoving the floor mats under each side. Of course not having an LSD meant when one side gripped, it would stop and the other would grip too, briefly moving the car forward then spit the mat out and spin. Meaning I had to constantly juggle between sides shoving the mat under the wheel.

Eventually I go it to tarmac and had to jump in the car, by now feet and hands covered in mud and knock it out of gear before it went off the other side of the road.

I got home, hosed myself and the mats off and decided to keep the wrecked mat as a reminder never to be so stupid as to drive on wet grass again.

I call it "patina", every dent tells a story etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back