Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 75
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

poppopbangbang
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit wrote:
PPBB - what do you think the power and torque would look like if you had standard throttle body/manifolds/catalytic converters still in place?

I know that you moved all of this over from the old engine, but wondering what the delta would be for a stock 3.4 to 3.7 conversion.

I'd have thought 30bhp or so, there is a pretty good example in that the standard 3.6 is rated at 320bhp (okay they generally make a little less than that on a dyno but it's a good figure to work from). In my experience of my car the major restriction is in exhaust/emissions bumpf and then throttle/airbox. This seems to be corroborated by the Cayman guys making 340bhp odd with low loss exhausts, inlets and larger throttle bodies/plenums on 3.4L cars. The real plus point of going larger bore appears to be the increase in low RPM torque, roundabout exits for example can now be dealt with in third with no loss in pace Very Happy

I think a capacity increase is really only sensible when it's engine rebuild time. You'd be fairly mad to do it for the sake of it when the gains are relatively small - it is after all only an 8% or so increase in capacity. The biggest bang for buck is definitely decent exhaust manifolds, removing the cats and fitting a larger throttle body. On my car they were worth the same as the capacity increase in headline figure.

Having said that it's a nice feeling to have GT3 poke from an M96 powered Carrera Very Happy

Y2K
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff PPBB; keep the updates coming Cool

poppopbangbang
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a further update now we're nearing 5 figures in.

The engine has loosened up a little from when it was built and feels very settled now. No leaks, no worries and it now uses less than 25ml of oil per thousand miles which is fairly impressive but then it is vs half a million KM old rings and valve stems that were in the old one!

Performance is very impressive for a "slow" 996, obviously the fact the car is a bit lighter than a standard one helps but it quite happily pulls on a current M5 for example. I'm fairly gobsmacked at how much of an improvement there is over what was in there.

I've also (finally) swapped to a Lithium battery, specifically a Super B 20P which saves another 4KM over what was in there. I've kept my old Redtop/Helicopter battery for the time being whilst we see how the Super B holds up but I don't expect any major issues as they last well in the race cars!

I've got some planed maintenance coming up, mainly regreasing the coffin arm ball joints and swapping the ARB drop links as the sphericals on these are approaching end of life. I've made some new ones ready:

I'll also replace the fuel filters for the rail and aux tank at the same time and give it a general once over. We're getting near the point of needing to do some bodywork maintenance too as the level of stone chips and general rat look is getting a bit high, to be fair it does spend a lot of time chasing things like this:

So it's to be expected but I like to at least make the effort....... or maybe I just wrap it in full prototype camo as generally that avoids some bother on the continent!

I've also got to sort the dash pack out as the bubbles on the white dials are jamming the needles now! I've got a spare black dash pack so should just be able to swap the clocks over and leave the LCDs in place from the original. I also need somewhere to mount the AIM dash as I can't really leave it cable tied in front of the clocks!

Either way the old girl continues to be utterly brilliant at being a car and the engine freshen up has really made it feel fresh again Very Happy

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice update Poppop,
You've done 10k miles already. Wow.

Is the super B replacing an Odyssey 680 or voltfreaks battery? I have a bracket for a 680 but am holding off fitting one until the car sees more regular use as I'm not sure of how it'll hold with infrequent use. I'll have it on a conditioner though.

How do you measure 25ml of usage? Just a case of what comes out vs went in? Or some fancy race car measuring equipment?

Anyway good pics. I'm loving that LMP looking thing. Thumb

Jamesx19
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it love it!

Rebuilds are fine......., but hard to justify a £11,000 bill to put a £12,000 car back to standard again........ but spending £15,000 ish on a significant upgrade, turns the car into something special and in my eyes seems to make sense.

Ie the difference between a recon engine, and a rebuilt and upgraded bit of quality is only* £4,000?

* I appreciate this is still significant wedge!

Keep going with the updates. Inspirational stuff. Ta

poppopbangbang
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Nice update Poppop,
You've done 10k miles already. Wow.

Is the super B replacing an Odyssey 680 or voltfreaks battery? I have a bracket for a 680 but am holding off fitting one until the car sees more regular use as I'm not sure of how it'll hold with infrequent use. I'll have it on a conditioner though.

How do you measure 25ml of usage? Just a case of what comes out vs went in? Or some fancy race car measuring equipment?

Anyway good pics. I'm loving that LMP looking thing. Thumb

Well I've been to Magny Course, Imola and Catalunya since it was built so that alone is nearly 6000 miles!

The Super B has replaced a 680 - generally speaking the Odyssey batteries are fine with infrequent use and have less discharge than a conventional lead acid battery. They were designed as Helicopter/Jet Engine start batteries originally (Powervamp own the Odyssey brand) and not a lot of private aircraft are in daily use. Mine has sat for a week + without a charger at airports and always started fine on my return.

Yep measure in, measure out - at the same temps. I have a pump setup to pull the oil out the dipstick tube so it's fairly repeatable. Realistically you could say it has used naff all Smile

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pop, that's good to know about the batteries. I'll definitely get one soon.

And yes "naff all" is a fair assumption. Very Happy
What a great motor you have in there now. I'd love to do the same one day.
Enjoy! Thumb

wasz
Magny-Cours

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the autofarm liners made of?

Guywilko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the reduced height pistons increase the risk of tilt/wear??

cvega
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazhart wrote:

All testing is going well and we hope to be taking orders later in the year.

So you're telling me that when I come around to rebuilding my 145k 3.6 i can end up with 3.9?

you've just made me keep my car, i think

(sorry about thread hijack, looking forward to more details!)

2003 996 C2
2017 Leaf 30kWh
gone: 2010 335d, 2007 Cayman S, 2008 Civic Type-R, 1992 MR2 Turbo ,1994 MR2 N/A

crash7
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poppopbangbang wrote:
Marky911 wrote:
Looking good poppop. Good to see it's back.

What benefit does the Motorsport AOS have please? And how does it compare price wise? I know most Porsche Motorsport parts are usually cheaper.

I'm interested in the IMS bearing goes as the roller type is top of my list should I need to change mine.

The Motorsport AOS is a twin chamber design with more capacity than the standard item which amongst other things means it avoids the smoke on circuit with sticky tyres that sometimes happens with the standard AOS. Apparently they are a bit more reliable too but I think that is mostly anecdotal as I doubt the KMs have been done on the Motorsport version to validate that against the standard part!

Image from Rennpart:
Quote:

Thread resurrection, PPBB are you able to provide details, info, images etc of how you fitted the Motorsport AOS to your engine?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: