Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window pulling seal in and putting strain on regulator

wasz

This has been bugging me for a few years.

When I operate my drivers side electric window all the way down, the seal drags on the glass, the glass pulls it down so its inverted a bit and the seal puts a lot of strain on the window regulator.

Looking at the window seal, it seems the "felt" has worn off the inside leaving bare rubber which is what drags on the glass.

Its worse in warm weather when the rubber seal is more pliable.

I've taken to pushing down on the glass as I drop the window to relieve the strain a bit...I also put gummi pfledge on the inside of the seal which lubricates a little but causes streaking on the glass.

Anyone got a clever solution to this? The door seal is only available as a complete part for £££££ new.

Some random thoughts...

Have you treated the glass inside and out with something like RainX or a posher version of glass sealant, to make the glass more, errm, glassy, and reduce friction?

Have you tried winding the window all the way down and giving the seal a good pull all the way along the door top, away from the glass?

If all else fails could you glue a thin strip of black fabric or felt to the seal?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have been through exactly this problem.
I tried every glass treatment and rubber treatment including rain-X and Gummi.
Absolutely nothing worked and in the end I bit the bullet and bought a new seal and the little plastic plugs that hold it in place.
A tad expensive at almost £200 after discount but, as you might expect, worked perfectly and certainly avoided breaking a regulator which I definitely felt was likely if I didn't get a resolution.

Im afraid i can only agree with the above comments , these seals have a felt inner lining to allow slip .. when it wears off there is no real alternative other than replacing them .

I do a lot of noises as part of the Targa roof repair .. some of them i get away with useing Rain-X .. mainly were the door glass touches the door rubber seal but as already mentioned it wont really work in your case .

There is adjustment of the window position from the base of the door but i feel that going too extreme will swop jamming for wind noise , and even then i dont think you will stop it .

OK thanks all, looks like I'm in for a £120 new seal or just continue to not drop the window too often! I could chance a used seal if I can find a low miler.

deMort said:
There is adjustment of the window position from the base of the door but i feel that going too extreme will swop jamming for wind noise , and even then i dont think you will stop it .

I messed with positioning for hours when I replaced the regulator.....

I feel you pain mate. I've found as a temp solution, wax the glass on the outside with general car wax, T-cut also works (lasts about 2 weeks). If the glass is super smooth there's no drag. I've also experimented with some thin sticky back felt material. I need to revisit it but initial trails weren't the best.

Watch this space for a cheapo Alex fix. :grin:

Is this a major issue? I have never heard of it before. Assuming it is rare I would just go with a secondhand seal for not much money.

MC

It's very common.

Yeah I think it's common on early 986 and 996 with a few miles.

I think the angle of the seal is to blame, on my wife's golf the same seal has a vertical felt inner... The 996 is almost horizontal. Once the felt has gone on the very tip of the seal it gets pulled in.

Still a fairly easy fix just a £120 part as for some reason the window scraper and door seal is all one piece. I was just hoping someone had dreamt up a simple fix..

Polishing the glass does cure it.........for a while.

Makes the car look newer too 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back