Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Polished Exhaust Tips

AlpinaB3S

As I am in the garage queen fraternity and have "winterised" my car (wish I hadn't some days) I thought I would think about removing the exhaust tips and getting them perfect. I dont think I can do that with them on the car.

I have two questions :

How easy is it to remove them and then put them back on?

Is there something people would recommend I use to polish out the light scratches or would I need to send them away and have them done properly

If you do, be extremely careful not to break the circlip type clamps. They are very difficult to source and get rusted to buggery. (You may be lucky if your car has been a garage queen it's whole life).

Personally I would DIY as best I could with tips on the car.

Thanks James

Certainly not a garage queen before I got it, although still very nice. I did clean them on the car when i got it and they are not really that bad TBH. I just wanted to get the small scratches out.

I could have another go with them on the car first and see how I get on.

...following my recent engine rebuild I replaced the exhaust (Top gear mild) and worked my way through the exhaust system and manifold nuts and bolts replacing with marine grade stainless steel...on my 996 I had to cut off the trim tip nuts with a mini grinder...after which I had them polished on a machine...

The nuts were bastards to remove but not now so worth the hassle...

Getting the tips off is most likely a doddle. Its securing them on the inner clips that are positioned infront of the external clip that holds the exhaust tip on. Depending on the type of exhaust tip you have, this will be easy or difficult. The Issue is getting the exhaust tip on with the circular 'cut' inner clip remaining in place as it either gets pushed back with the exhaust tip, or makes its way to the very inside edge of the tip. My last 911 exhaust tips were secured with a jubilee clip and after a gentle nudge from a speed bump, came flying off my car on a dual carriageway without (fortunately) hitting any of the cars behind me. I since purchased ones from Topgear that are simpler to install with the clamp as part of the tip housing.

They look like stainless steel to me.

if so there's no point in taking them off. They'll be back to square one in no time. Buy a dremil and polish in situ.

Start with Brillo and finish with Solvol Autosol ... job done !

Attachments

• s_l400_165.jpg
    s_l400_165.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,820
TonyC911 said:
Don't try and remove them unless you absolutely have to, the shims always break and sourcing new ones seems almost impossible.

I really like the Britemax products:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britemax...Polish-Sealant-Metal-Twins-118ml/163220803218

You can use them with something like this polishing cone attached to a drill. Just mask off the area around the tips first, so as not to damage your paintwork.

Great stuff Britemax :thumb: I've had my tips off several times, the olive rings are stainless so they shouldn't rust, the main problem is that they can crack easily. The clamp bolts rust which is real pain, but once undone the trick is to free off the sleeve as it will be tight on the exhaust pipe, a good sized screwdriver to prise the tip sleeve open will do the job, makes removal much easier! lots of WD40 helps too :thumb:

Great advice as always chaps thank you.

I think I will leave them in situ and go for the britemax option. The polishing cones look good too so I will get some of those as well.

thanks again

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back