Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who tracks their 997?

Yes I've seen a few Porsche's fail, the limit at Croft is 105 db and a lot of cars seem to scrape through.

Coming from an Exige which really is a track car you can use on the road. I really want to use the 997 for the odd track day. In my experience if you stay away from the track days that attract the nutters!! You should be ok. Anyone know what a 997.2s blows on the dB gauge??

Depends which exhaust you have on, if it's std most seem to be about 102-104 db.

An Exige will be all over a 911, as you say Exige is track focused so unless you've got a GT3 RS the Exige will drive past a 911 for fun.

As I mentioned in a previous post I was very disappointed in my car on track but in saying that it is a road car and not set up for a twisty race track so you have to look at things in context.
If I was blasting across Europe the 911 Turbo would be my car of choice, if I was doing a track day I'd take the Exige.

I don`t have a 997, but I do track both my 996 and my 987 Boxster S, they absolutely love it and come alive after a few laps :grin:

You do get a few loonies on open trackdays though, as we did at Donington this summer, I was trying to pass a Focus RS that was black flagged for 3 consecutive laps, but refused to get out of the way or off the track, even with his undertray flapping in the wind :nooo:

The Oulton Park, Porsche only, RS day which should be coming up soon is a really nice event, Porsche drivers have respect and drive accordingly :thumb:

You know you want to :grin:

As well as club days (in my experience far better than open track or the commercial track days where any nutter can show up and usually does), you also need to bear the track in mind: there's quite some difference between a modern full FIA spec 12m wide track with fresh tarmac, rumble strips, plenty of run off and distant barriers, such as (in my limited experience at least Yas Marina, Dubai Autodrome, Alastaro) and the older narrower tracks with grass on the other side of the white line, and walls (or rock here in Finland) and crash fences just a metre away (including say Ahvenisto).

Not to mention flat tracks compared to the older tracks with lots of elevation changes, hills, negative cambers and perpetually shady/damp corners (for example).

The latter are more fun, but the adrenalin definitely makes your heart pump harder... :eek:

kurlykris said:
I don`t have a 997, but I do track both my 996 and my 987 Boxster S, they absolutely love it and come alive after a few laps :grin:

You do get a few loonies on open trackdays though, as we did at Donington this summer, I was trying to pass a Focus RS that was black flagged for 3 consecutive laps, but refused to get out of the way or off the track, even with his undertray flapping in the wind :nooo:

The Oulton Park, Porsche only, RS day which should be coming up soon is a really nice event, Porsche drivers have respect and drive accordingly :thumb:

Do you have a link for this?

kurlykris said:

I'm sure that Porsche only days are better, but they are not immune from people causing problems for others. I did a PCGB day at Oulton Park a few years ago where a 911 race car let go of an oil pipe on the start finish straight (apparently help on by a rusty jubilee clip), and the resulting oil drop caused a 993 Turbo to spin and take out the driver's side on the concrete wall :sad:

Like I said, no guarantees :hand:

Some poor guy turned up at Croft last year in a brand new 720s and he immediately became a target for everyone, as soon as he went out everyone wanted to see if they could pass him and I have to admit I had a go myself!
Problem is you go there with the best intentions and then after being overtaken a few times you think what the hell and go for it.
One of my friends on here Al Satch has an old Boxster and we did a track day with that and it was really good, not to heavy and no too fast, we did pop the exhaust apart which I've been getting the blame for ever since!
Changing std road pads to Pagid's is the way to go, another guy with a C4S has std discs and Pagid track pads on his car and it stops really well, far better than the std set up which on my car was 'fried' after 2 hot laps.
I see the Porsche only track days have gone up a lot this year, last one I saw was £300 which is a bit steep.

Brakes are key,

going on with standard pads and fluid is a bad idea.

Race fluid and Pagid RS29's and you will be fine on track. They are an endurance pad, and are kind on the discs with very good life. I've done 2 ring trips, 2 UK track days and they have barely worn.

Mezgerite said:
Brakes are key,

going on with standard pads and fluid is a bad idea.

Race fluid and Pagid RS29's and you will be fine on track. They are an endurance pad, and are kind on the discs with very good life. I've done 2 ring trips, 2 UK track days and they have barely worn.

Agreed: I've tried the Dubai Autodrome Clubn Circuit with stock pads and fluid, and ended up with spongy brakes (but at least I didn't end up in the wall like the guy in the Maserati who got mad about being overtaken....). I then installed fresh discs, Motul RBF600 fluid, Goodridge stainless steel lines and Pagid RS29s and got my alignment sorted out (a bit more camber at the front works for me in terms of set up).

RXP. said:
Do you have a link for this?

Sadly it is sold out this year, March 8th, and even though I have been watching the Oulton Park website there was no mention of it. I have managed to get on the reserve list though, so may still pick up a ticket hopefully as I did last year.

So if anyone hears of a ticket goig spare, give me a shout please :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back