Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ultra Low Emission Zone

Ptabi

From April cars will need to meet a minimum emissions standards when travelling in the ULEZ area for now this is Central London or pay a daily charge of £12.50.

It is said petrol cars registered after 2005 generally would meet the minimum standards although cars manufacturered since 2001 may also meet the standards.

From 25 October 2021 the ULEZ area will expand to include the inner london areas including the North Circular and South Circular roads.

This means any Porsche from early 996 will likely need to pay to get into Central London from April 2019 (365 days & 24 hours) and from October 2021 from majority of london areas.

Surely this can't be right. Do we all know about this?

That sounds reasonable, you aren't going to get the system to work if you allow cars which meet 20+ year old emission standards to drive around FOC.

MC

Some of the information being rolled out by the BBC on this subject was pretty poor, as there are exceptions to the age of cars which will be exempt - my 02-plate Audi S3 is Euro 4 compliant, so even at 17yr's old will be OK, meaning I don't have to replace it before 2021 (I live just inside the South Circular)

The best thing to do, if in doubt, is check here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

My 54 plate Volvo is compliant and so is my 987 Boxster S ....... but hopefully I will not be living in the sh1thole that is London by 2021 ......

Is it free to access London on weekends?

benbuhagiar said:
Is it free to access London on weekends?

Congestion charge only applies Mon - Fri, the Low Emmission Zone and ULEZ (when it applies in April) are payable at all times :(

My daily driver an old Y reg BMW just scrapes in under the wire as ULEZ exempt :clap:

The ULEZ is 24 hours 365 days.

My 1998 and 2001 996 Carreras are both subject to it, my 2004 turbo isn't.

MC

Its brilliant news for air quality in our cities! Hopefully a step towards the death of the internal combustion engine emitting its waste where lots of people live.

Personally I'm not sure why anyone would ever consciously make the decision to drive in central London, but for a one off special occasion £12.50 ain't too bad IMO.

Bath is the next city in line for an ULEZ and Birmingham after that.

Holy *****!!!!!

With the extension, my current property which I looking to sell soon in order to get further away from shitty London/suburbia, is literally on the edge of the extended zone!!

My parents and in laws are 2 miles in it, so looking forwards, if I want to take my 964, VR6 or MX5 to see them or pop to some regular shops, it's going to cost me £12.50!!!!

I guess it will only be a matter of time before the umbrella of vehicles which are currently OK is made smaller and my 997 will hit some form of charge. God I hate this country!

wasz said:
Its brilliant news for air quality in our cities! Hopefully a step towards the death of the internal combustion engine emitting its waste where lots of people live.

Personally I'm not sure why anyone would ever consciously make the decision to drive in central London, but for a one off special occasion £12.50 ain't too bad IMO.

Bath is the next city in line for an ULEZ and Birmingham after that.

Is this really doing to make any difference to the wealthy Bankers and City Folk that wish to use their cars? price of a couple of cups of coffee a day!

Will be interesting to see whether it reduces vehicle numbers at all?

Maybe it will encourage the use of less polluting cars :?: or bikes :bike:

MarkGolf said:
Holy *****!!!!!

With the extension, my current property which I looking to sell soon in order to get further away from shitty London/suburbia, is literally on the edge of the extended zone!!

My parents and in laws are 2 miles in it, so looking forwards, if I want to take my 964, VR6 or MX5 to see them or pop to some regular shops, it's going to cost me £12.50!!!!

I guess it will only be a matter of time before the umbrella of vehicles which are currently OK is made smaller and my 997 will hit some form of charge. God I hate this country!

A man who can afford to own and run 7 cars (Including 3 Porches) complaining about a £12.50 charge... 1st world problems and all that. :D

Hopefully this will cut the number of polluting cars in London. I work by Berkeley Square and there are loads of charging points for electric cars here. It would be great to see these become more common, as they surely must/will. I can't have any complaint about having to pay £12.50 top bring my 25 year old car into town. Frankly, I've never driven it here anyway.

What I can't understand is why this is required
We've had Euro this and euro that engined cars for years, why is air quality worse than it was 30 years ago when engines only didn't smoke when they were turned off. Thirty years ago central London was gridlocked, more cars in our cities now, really?

Money making and worse, restrictions on freedom are my initial thoughts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back