Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Omp steering wheel boss

NedHan79

I've just bought a nice omp steering wheel. 3 spoke, dished suade wheel. The big question is where can I get a boss to suit? I've seen 1 on eBay with the resistor to put out the air bag light but i think it's very pricey at £135. There are other options at half the price.
Has anyone went this route?
Is it simply a matter of buying the version that states it's only for non air bag models and sorting the resistor myself?
Or is there anything else involved?

As usual, all help welcome

I got one from the US which correctly passes the cables through. I'll get details on Monday if I remember.

MC

I'd really appreciate that mistercorn. Did you just sort your own resistor?

Thanks mark. Which boss did you use? I don't really know what I need as mister corn has mentioned one that passes the cable through.
Just started reading your thread last night. Only about 5 pages in but there's a lot of very useful information on it.

It is made by NRG, example here.

https://www.andysautosport.com/hub_adapter/porsche_996.html

If you are using a non-airbag wheel you will need to fit the resistor, but this will correctly fit the prongs on your spiral cable connector amd has the hole in the right place to pass through the wires so that your horn push will also work.

MC

Thanks for that. Will the omp boss do as well or is the nrg boss perfect for me?
And do I simply just need the resistor after this?

Thanks Ned,

I went for the Momo wheel so I wouldn't want to advise on the OMP.
Mistercorn knows his onions so stick with him and you won't go far wrong.

I cover the wheel fitting on about page 13 or 14 of my thread. I also link a couple of useful guides from other people. It doesn't cover everything but you can fill in the gaps fairly easily. :thumb:

Thanks guys. I had been emailing Bella Volante and they're quoting £120-125 iirc so might just go that way.i think by the time you pay for shipping and duty there's not much to be saved plus dealing with a uk based crowd with a good reputation gives some peace of mind

The thing to be careful of is to make sure that whatever boss you get has the two holes for the prongs and the slot for the cable. Without these it can fit on the spline perfectly but it will make it awkward to get the cable through for the horn without it spiralling around the column and you will lose the indicator cancelling. You can see the holes I mean in one of these photos. I'm running mine with a Works Bell quick release which is mounted on the first two pictures.

The 997 has a different size spline, and the two prongs and cable hole are in different places. So if you get a 997 boss it won't work even with a suitable adapter for the splines (guess how I found that out....)

MC

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to ask the questions.
They have also quoted me £35 for the horn centre with the Porsche crest so I might as well bite the bullet and get them both.
I've other bits bought for the car but I'll leave a lot of it until I'm in better shape.

Does this boss do away with the potential issues others have faced with the horn etc?

I didn't realise that there was any issues. I've always just fancied the omp wheel. Bought 1 for my last car but couldn't get the boss to suit

rdodger said:
Does this boss do away with the potential issues others have faced with the horn etc?

Before spending any money, whip your airbag off (disconnect battery for a while first) and use a multimeter check for ground on the steering column.

Aftermarket bosses ground the horn through the column, and some early cars have a poor ground.

I never looked at how the OE wheel grounds, but that is my understanding others may know more (e.g. dammit had a lot of trouble getting his working).

With an aftermarket like the one I linked to it uses all of the original wiring, so it doesn't ground through the column. That is why it is a good one to use.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back