Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Centre Silencer Delete

SGH

Nurburgring
Another mod I am considering and wondered what is the centre silencer replacement pipe brand to go for ?

There seems to be a few to choose from..

MILLTEK
TOP GEAR
HAYWARD & SCOTT
SHARKWERKS

Will they all be ok with PSE and I guess all sound pretty much the same ?

The top gear one is an xpipe design from memory, whereas the other 2 are a copy of the sharkwerks pipe being a cross over pipe. Should all be bolt on bolt off, rust permitting.

They will all work with PSE and as Frank says you just need to decide whether cross over or X Pipe is what you want have, a read on sharkwerks and fabspeeds websites as one prefers cross over and the other X pipe so you can read and decide .

I have heard nothing but good things about the topgear, sharkwerks and Haywood and Scott , cant speak for the miltek as not heard much about it. :thumb:

I bought Sharkwerks as they spent time working on the flow and did some dyno work to back it up. They specifically avoided the 180 degree bends of the original. Milltek just ripped off their design by copying one according to Alex at Sharkwerks.

Can recommend the Topgear exhaust, great noise and not pricey at all. Gives a nice note when PSE on or off but especially on ;)

Get yourself to a meet and have a listen for yourself. Youtube/Facebook sound clips won't tell you anything.

I got H&S through a group buy, coz it was a good price. Seems very good quality.

Do these systems work well when fitted to a non-PSE car? Considering my modification options for when my car is out of warranty in a few months.

Kith said:
Do these systems work well when fitted to a non-PSE car? Considering my modification options for when my car is out of warranty in a few months.
They definitely work, it's just a case of whether or not the investment will release enough sound for you. You might want to try and have a listen to a car that is non PSE with it and make a decision from there.
If it's not loud enough then you'd need to look at alternatives for an exhaust replacement.
Keep your eye in eBay for second hand systems as they cone up from time to time. I got a Tubi system for not much more than the cost of the cross over pipe and it's been sublime. I had it polished up(waste of time and money). Speak to Too gear as they're quite popular and you get a discount being a forum member

Edit- just saw this on eBay if anyone is interested. PSE exhaust with the odd issue, but perhaps rectyfiable in sports mode only for better sound?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/123577412984
No affiliation btw

I don't think the center muffler delete is as effective in non PSE cars. There are mods like gundo etc that can help but I think (having heard one after install) I would consider a full system from Topgear or similar outfit.

I have the Topgear x pipe on my non PSE 4S and all things considered sound
per pound I'm very pleased with it, definitely made a notable difference sound wise, not sure I felt any power gains to be honest. However a few days later I added a Fabspeed cold air induction kit. Again the sound improved particularly
above 4,000 rpm and whether it was the sound or just my imagination the car
felt quicker.
Sure a full system would give the best result ultimately but for a reasonable £250 to £300 you could start with the Topgesr pipe and decide whether to take it further.

I did H&S on my non-PSE, it's a marked improvement, especially over 3500rpm.

More noticeable outside the car than inside (due to the fact engine/exhaust is behind you)

I lived with it for a couple of years before getting the banana gundo as well.

For approx £700 total it's not bad, but doesn't sound as nice as a proper system for £1k+. With hindsight, I would maybe have gone for the top gear system. (Centre bypass and valves back boxes).

There was someone selling one for a good price on Porsche owners uk Facebook group (having upgraded to akrapovic). If you can, try and find a used system for less than £900.

Edit: this one- in Yorkshire http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131513

The best I have heard was a cgr custom system that someone on here has, but it was £2k. It's on their website.

If your near Derby, I'm happy to show you mine. Videos are not representative due to crappy microphones.

My C4S has PSE and it's going to be toss up between H&S or the Topgear one at the moment.

£1k the Sharkwerks seems a lot of dosh but I have my brother trying to source one cheaper in the USA and bring over with him.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back