Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who tracks their 997?

Mezgerite

Wondering how many non GT owners regularly use their car properly?

I did a track session, not day, at Donington last summer in my turbo. It was fun but didn't give me the bug. I am a track day addict but with bikes. I find bikes far more involving and exciting on track.

Plus it became quickly apparent I'd require a significant brake upgrade on my turbo if I were to track it regularly. They were cooked after 2 laps.

Also, it costs a lot running a Ducati superbike for track days so Christ knows what it would cost to run my turbo... I'm oot... :)

Mezgerite said:

Yes, I do. It is a road car (standard brakes, for example), and I drive it on UK roads. :wink:

I'm happy to take the car to the track. My local club runs combined drivers education and track days which is always helpful. The car does benefit from decent pads and fresh fluid, and a realignment to add camber at the front, but it goes surprisingly well on standard Pirellis and Michelins. I do plan to get a set of Cup2s at some point though.

My best drives though have been hill climbs. Or rather, the one road up one particular 2000m mountain (the one they call Jebel Jais in Ras al Khaimah, UAE).

Mezgerite said:

Mine's been around several UK tracks, Spa and The Ring but all at a very sedate pace. It is a road car after all.

However, as I've taken it to Germany seven times and experienced how easily it cruises at 120 mph, hits 150 at the blink of an eye and makes 175 without breaking sweat I think I've used mine properly in the last 4 years. :wink:

Just because you take a car on the track doesn't mean it gets abused. A car can be driven rather quickly whilst still being mechanically sympathetic to your car.
I've done my fair share of track days and I'd always noted that the cars that spent time in the pits due to mechanical issues, usually was the big mouth boy racer who displayed a particular disrespect to their machine whilst on the track, only to hear the usual list of excuses as you wander by.
Prepping for a track day will go a long way ensuring that you get the most out of your day, and a safe journey home rather than on the back of a truck.

I must say, I prefer my car on quiet Lincolnshire twisties to the track.

When I'm asked 'how fast does it go' I reply 'as fast as you like' I even managed a sneaky little blast during the Christmas break whilst the weather was ok. Love that car!

FZP said:
Just because you take a car on the track doesn't mean it gets abused.

Nobody has said it has :?

My reference to 911s being road cars was in response to the OPs inference that tracking a 911 equates to it being used 'properly'.

My opinion is that a better definition of a 911 being used properly is to exploit its abilities in the environment it was designed for i.e fast roads.

T8 said:
FZP said:

My reference to 911s being road cars was in response to the OPs inference that tracking a 911 equates to it being used 'properly'.

My opinion is that a better definition of a 911 being used properly is to exploit its abilities in the environment it was designed for i.e fast roads.

I maintain by track bikes very meticulously. They want for nothing from a maintenance point of view and I'm 100% certain they'll be cleaner and more pampered than any road bike I see out there.

T8 said:
FZP said:

Mate I wasn't having a dig in the slightest. I agree with your sentiment and my opinion was an extension to your view. My point was purely around the fact that these cars aren't snowflakes and have a wide window of use, including track days, with some caveats around that.

I got a bit taken in by the whole track day thing after doing a few laps of Spa and then Donington in July with Norfolk, we both said the same thing afterwards, car is fantastic but the brakes and tyres were rubbish, my car runs on Bridgestone and I've since driven one on Michelins and also Pirellis and the Michelins are the best by an absolute mile.
After working out the cost of getting excited on a track day and possibly having some plonker rear end you or side swipe you I shelved the idea and bought a Westfield with the sole purpose of doing track days and the odd blast round the back roads. I reckon the cost of purchasing the car was about the same as repairing a 911 after a big shunt, plus the Westfield embarrasses most Supercars especially in the corners, in fact the only car that's given me a good run for it's money was a Clio Cup car, they are seriously the best value for money car you can put on a track simply incredible.
The other thing with track days is you quickly become bored, once I've done 20 or 30 laps I'm pretty much knackered and ready to go home!

EJ makes a good point about the risks; I only really plan to take the 997 to my club trackdays where there is an opportunity to learn combined with modest numbers on the track and good discipline. After all, it's still a road car (with road tyres and comfortable and slidey leather 'sports' seats), and it still needs to get me home... but at least you can let rip for a while, or at least until you run out of fuel.

easternjets said:
I got a bit taken in by the whole track day thing after doing a few laps of Spa and then Donington in July with Norfolk, we both said the same thing afterwards, car is fantastic but the brakes and tyres were rubbish, my car runs on Bridgestone and I've since driven one on Michelins and also Pirellis and the Michelins are the best by an absolute mile.
After working out the cost of getting excited on a track day and possibly having some plonker rear end you or side swipe you I shelved the idea and bought a Westfield with the sole purpose of doing track days and the odd blast round the back roads. I reckon the cost of purchasing the car was about the same as repairing a 911 after a big shunt, plus the Westfield embarrasses most Supercars especially in the corners, in fact the only car that's given me a good run for it's money was a Clio Cup car, they are seriously the best value for money car you can put on a track simply incredible.

The other thing with track days is you quickly become bored, once I've done 20 or 30 laps I'm pretty much knackered and ready to go home!

T'was a fun day, that's for sure. That beautiful summer now a fading memory... And yeah, imagine some plonker shunting you... I doesn't bear thinking about :eek:

You can drive as careful as you like but if someone is giving it big licks and spins into you there isn't much you can do about it, I've only done half a dozen track days but I've seen some pretty terrible driving and one accident that reduced a Saxo to half it's height, how the guy got out alive and walked away was a mystery to everyone!
You can get Insurance for Track Days but the premiums are quite high as is the excess.
I like my car to much to see it damaged.

I was considering jumping on a Porsche track day, i was following the thread of the organised one on here. But it transpired many member were not allowed on due to excessive noise.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back