Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Good write up, mine has sat for a few weeks and itching to get out but as you can't be arsed cleaning the car so it's staying in the garage for now.
Keep watching KW1 prices as I have them on the RS4 and been super impressed with them.

Car looks awesome Marky.I sometimes wish I had stuck out for an aero car.

Looks like you had a good run out Marky and some nice pics although I've been looking at replica GT3 RS aero parts lately and the shots of Craig's car really aren't helping! :grin: :thumb:

Both cars looking great.

Nice to see some dirt on 'em, means they've been enjoying a good thrash!

How's Craig getting on with the Ohlins? Hope he's not regretting letting you have the KW's.....

Looking good Mark.

The roads have been dry and pretty clean here, so I have not sorn'd the car this winter.

It was 10 degrees here yesterday- yet the roads are absolutely covered in salt. I've been driving the estate as we went mountain biking at Swinley all day yesterday, something I was glad of looking at the drifts of grit at junctions.

Morning lads, thanks for the comments.

Hi Graham , yes the washing is a faff and you simply can't get into everywhere that the salt spray from the road can.
I've never tried the KWV1s but if they damp anywhere near the V3's (they should, they just have less adjustment don't they), then they should be great.
My only gripe with KW are the rebuild costs compared to the likes of Bilstein, etc. Mine required the fronts rebuilding after 25k as one strut wasn't returning quickly enough.
It cost Craig about £700 so I'm guessing double that for all 4. Rip off.

Hi kas yes I'm glad I did the Aerokit. It cost a lot and that won't be added on but if a car doesn't look right visually to me, I know it won't hold my interest.
I think you're like me in that you have better models, such as GT3s etc, so you may want to move back up in the future. In that case I probably wouldn't waste the money.
I'll have mine until at least this time next year, maybe even for a lot longer, hence I've made it how I want.

When I'm not driving it I'm looking at cars I would love to buy next but then I drive it and think "Would I be having that much more fun in a GT3/4? And how much more money do I want sitting in the garage for most of the year?".

Hi Jez , if the cars a keeper get it done. :D

The Mk2 GT3 parts look great and that bit more aggressive than the Mk1.
The mk2 parts are mega rare though aren't they. No harm in aftermarket parts as long at they're at the better end of the scale.
I have the genuine Mk1 skirts on mine but I also have the £400/pair Porschashop copies in my loft . The fit is actually better on the copies as they're newer.
My genuine ones were a pig to fit but they were used, so have been on another car and probably wrestled about with over the years.
Yours would look ace with the kit on.
:thumb:

Hi James, yep Craig loves the Ohlins.
They are stunning and since his Centre Gravity setup he says it's perfection. I haven't driven it yet but I know it will be more surefooted than mine due to the settings.
I think the rear of his is harder than mine but not by much and I always seem to remember mine being softer than it is. :wink:

If I was buying used I'd buy either. Both are great.
If I was buying new I'd buy Ohlins as the adjustment for corner weighting is better and they're cheaper at about £2200 if you get lucky.
KWs are still £3k plus.

I've still never tried a car with these mega cheap coilovers on, you know the £600 ones. I'm very interested to see how they drive.
I can't see how they'd be a patch on Ohlins etc, but it would be nice if they were, as suspension ends up costing us a massive amount proportionally to a 996 doesn't it.
If I wasn't lucky enough to buy Craig's I'd have been saving for a quite bit longer. :wink:
Being the good mate that he is, he just charged me his rebuild costs, as the KWs were already on his car when he bought it. :D

YK how's it going? :thumb:

Yes I doubt I'll sorn mine now for the sake of 3 months.
It's been a mild winter. It was a positively tropical 8 degrees here yesterday while I washed the car. :grin:
Not so nice now though and I have to go out and wash the wife's. Booo!

We even still had some flowers in the garden until about last week.

Anyway I hope you're well.

Hi Neil yep that's usually the case up here. The gritters have been out this winter but we'd had a bit of rainfall since. I was amazed at how bone dry and clean the roads were when I got up on Saturday.
As you can see though we did encounter some salt along the way.
Not masses of it though thankfully. :thumb:

Right, I'm off to brave the elements with my bucket and wash mitt again.

996 is all clean and tucked up.

I'm either gonna leave it in one piece so I can use it if I want, or I'm pulling all 4 coffin arms off to reduce to my camber.
I also have a snagging list there that I'll get through quite quickly. Things like Cup wheel pushed too hard against brass contact pad so I get an audible scratching noise when turning - 2 minute job.
I have a rattley clip in the rear quarter panel trim since removing rear belts etc.
Again no biggie.
Basically I'm chasing rattles and squeaks so it's spot on for the roadtrip in July.

Phew, long post. Sorry gents. I was gonna delete some but thought "I've written it now". :p

Regarding the tax disc holder - your car was supplied new by Glasgow OPC then? Mine was too, before coming up to Aberdeen, then down to Manchester, now back up to Aberdeen.

Also, I have a Midget 1500! Was my first car and mine since 1997. It's bumperless now and has a tuned engine and Ford Type 9 5-speed box, amongst other things. Gotta love a Midget!

8)

P.S, your car looks great btw! You call that dirty? Mine is pink with road filth, washing it today...

Mornin' JS,

your midget sounds like fun. 8)
It must be great to have kept your first car, although mine was a silver Vauxhall Nova 1.0 litre with ginger interior and holes in the doors, so I'm not too distraught at not having that anymore. :grin:

The tax disc holder must have been added later on as my car was actually supplied new by Lancaster of Colchester, then it was serviced at Porsche Wilmslow, Cheshire for a few years. It was then in Scotland until 2016 when I bought it.
Although it was in Scotland for over a decade it only covered about 50k miles in that time, which suggests it wasn't a daily car (I know it wasn't for the 5 years it's last owner had it) so it's remarkably solid and rust free compared to some. Thankfully.

I did write off to the DVLA to get former keeper info but they don't give it out anymore. I always used to do this for anything interesting I bought so that's a shame but hey ho.

Anyway I hope you got your car washed. Guards red is a great colour. :thumb:

Hi Marky. First class job. I've been reading your thread for most of the week. Some nice work there and great info. I'm going to have to do underneath mine so this and a few of the other threads on here will be a great help.
I'm going to get the same hub you used for the steering wheel. If it's been good enough for you and Craig, then it'll do me. If I've any issues with the horn I'll just have to work through it.

Reading some of these threads can get addictive :worship:

Thanks for the kind words Ned, I'm glad you can use some of the info. That's why we all put it up on here. :thumb:

I was going to mention our hubs on your thread as momo hubs supposedly fit your wheel, but since I wasn't 100% I didn't want to possibly lead you up a wrong path.
There's a momo L7004 hub on eBay at the moment for about £49 at today's exchange rate. It's from the seller I bought mine from. Good luck getting sorted. Any other queries just give me a shout.

I just ordered 1 there. £56.50 was the best price I could get from the same seller on your link. The wheels both have a 70mm stud pattern so it should be fine.
I still need a sort a horn push so I'll have to keep an eye out.

Can I ask where you got the Porsche horn push marky? I've the rest ready to go but don't want to touch it until I have it all.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back