Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

275/35 vs 265/35

We are just going to go round in circles here I think and I don't want to derail the OPs thread.

You are happy with your tyre choice. I personally wouldn't be. It's not a Porsche recommended size for your car and it's the absolute narrowest width of tyre you should run on a 10" wide rim.

The point about E46 M3s isn't really relevant. Different engine layout, weight distribution, etc.
Yes they run narrower tyres but they also run narrower rims, 9" wide for 18s, 9.5" wide for 19s, so 255 is correct for those.

I very much doubt most drivers would feel the difference between 255, 265 or 285 at road speeds, but if you feel otherwise that's great, you can be happy with your 255s. You just shouldn't make out that anyone who runs 285s is only a vein poser, as technically you're the one using the wrong size tyres.

Again I'll stick with what Porsche recommends.

Things like suspension components and setup make a meaningful difference on the road. Dropping a tyre width or two doesn't.

Genuine question -
Years ago all the Mk1 GT3 track lads used to go up to Mk2 sizes (295) for greater tyre choice. These were cars being used properly and on the limit.
Why didn't they all drop down to 255s for all the benefits it brings?

Anyway, genuinely no offence but opinion isn't fact. :thumb:

My AMG C55 has 255 section rear tyres and 370 bhp/400Nm, but the engine is in the other end of the car. My 911 is on 285 rears, but in my defence I'm currently engaged in a project to raise power beyond that of the Merc.

Totally munky. :thumb:

Top gear showed the same thing with a super quick Caterham vs the skinny tyred, basic one with half the power.

Skinny tyres = fun, because you can throw the car round with it losing grip at slower speeds. Trouble is none of us can do that on the road. You'd have to go drifting.

So it's all a bit pointless unless the driver wants to crash or get banned. :grin:

Plus the difference between a 255 and 285 is nothing like the difference between a 225 and a 125, so again I don't believe there'll be anything more than a tiny subtle difference that most people wouldn't even notice, when taking 285 to 255.

Went with the below on my 996 mk1 C2 and they have been fine (general driving and some very spirited driving, but not tracking it).

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 - 225/40 R18 (92Y) XL TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 71dB

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 - 275/35 R18 (99Y) XL TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 71dB

If I could have got 265 in the PS4's I would have got those instead. Wanted the newer compound and best wet grip - even at cost of slight increased understeer. No noticeable (to me) impact on PSM.

Edit: my rims wouldn't support 285 as they are the older style.

Also another vote for 275/35 in a PS4. Had recently put PS4s in the standard size on the front, and then faced with the choice of going for PS2 in 285/30 or PS4 in 275/35 on the back (on a 40AE / 996.2)

275/35 is within the 3% tolerance generally accepted for rolling radius by manufacturers on tyre size so I went for the PS4. Impressions on having driven the car - very happy with the choice to go with the latest tyre rather than a 15 year old (design and materials) one.

Speedo unaffected as runs from the front wheels. Gearing slightly lengthened, so motorway cruise more comfortable. Yes this will have some affect on acceleration but I've not noticed it. Tyres much quieter and better riding than the Conti 285s that came off.

It's not quite a no-brainer, but given that Porsche still recommend 265/35 as a winter tyre on the 996.2 it's really not much of a reach to take that to 275/35.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back