Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C2 Tip Broken down Plan C!!!!

If you like the car, rebuild. If you want to change, sell as is. I would rebuild, but I have a thing for the 996.

MC

The only car you know is going to have had everything done is the car that you've had it done too - if that makes sense.

i.e. I believe that it makes more sense to take what you have and as de Mort recommends get restored by an Indy than it does to buy another car for 15k that might have half the problems that yours does right now if you are unlucky.

Again, this may sound counter-intuitive (and not a little yoghurt-weavey), but this is an opportunity to get the car you've enjoyed for 10 years put back to as-new, but with the weaknesses that Porsche unfortunately left in the design of the M96 removed.

Then you can totally lose your mind and build a sort of X51-Cup engine to replace your perfectly good one...

I would say change to a different car but it depends what.
As has been said there's absolutely no point in buying another well used unknown 996. It may not last as long as you old has for you.

When I look at your list of faults you've let build up before the engine went pop, I'm guessing you like the car but don't pamper it or fiddle with it?
In that case I doubt you'd enjoy "the journey" of restoration. Things always go wrong, some jobs need doing twice or even thrice.
£18k will not get a new roof, suspension, respray and Hartech rebuild.

So I'd say change for an easy life.
The main caveat being only change to a Cayman, Boxster or 911 after 2009 for the much improved DFi engine, or only buy a car with a hartrch rebuild.

There was a one on here before Xmas for barely £11k. I thought about buying it to swap the engine for mine but I haven't got time for that at the moment.

It needs a respray and minor things but should be doable for £7k.

Here it is. No connection so due diligence required as ever.

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=8660

Edit to say it isn't a tip and you'd need to ask about the rebuild e.g. Support rings or new liners, or neither. It has the bigger IMS fitted though so it seems to have been quite extensive.
As long as it had support rings or liners it might be worth buying the car for £10k, pay your garage a grand or two to swap motors between the two cars.
So £12k cost.
Sell the new car as a project with your old knackered engine for £4K-£5k and it's cost £7k-£8k for a Hartech engine. Then get your paint done and things.

Plenty of options if you can be bothered with a bit of hassle.

MisterCorn said:
but I have a thing for the 996.

MC

:friends: me too!

double post :pc:

After 10 years of ownership your car is like an old glove, fits nicely and owes you nothing.
If it were me I'd look on it as a zero cost a blank canvas. Spend £16k on it and you'll have more 911 than any £16k 911 you'll find in the classifieds.

It all depends on whether you've lost the love or not. If you have, then unfortunately someone else is going to profit.

Fellas, thank you, useful info and insights.

If I could get it into a very good mechanical condition with a new hood for £15k then I would and I could live with the body work.

I used to do a lot of basic spanner work myself, too busy now with three kids aged 5 and under, full time job and owning a pub!

I wouldn't go down the route of breaking it.

I'll try and have a chat with Hartech on Monday, at least to get some idea of cost of a sensible rebuild, I don't need any more power!
Cheers

Ed

Decided, going to sell it as it is.

Realistically, this year is going to be just as busy as the last few. And I want to spend what time I have free with the family. Away from home. In the camper van or on our bikes.

Getting the work done by garages just takes the costs too high.

So anyone want to a project?
Make me an offer while I remove the plate.

I'd love it to be fixed by someone here.

Cheers

Ed

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that you'll pass her on but at least you've put in the thought and not just gone on impulse.

Best of luck finding a nice replacement!

911 AU said:

Sounds like we all need to club together and buy it for DeMort?

eabeukes said:
911 AU said:

Sounds like we all need to club together and buy it for DeMort?

Great idea - i'm in.

Also seen you are in Aylesbury, I'm in Waddesdon.

It a shame it hasn't worked out AU..
Do you really think you'd actually lose money getting the work done, ie car worth less than rebuild, roof, suspension?
Heartbreaking if so.

engine

I read in a magazine not that long ago that Porsche had dropped the price of replacement engines to £3.5 k. Would that not be an option?

Re: engine

stichill99 said:
I read in a magazine not that long ago that Porsche had dropped the price of replacement engines to £3.5 k. Would that not be an option?

The magazine retracted that statement as Porsche did not make it... Ergo not an option. Other independants are available however.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back