Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Question regarding 996 Targa roof issue

F4BED

Hello from Paris, France! I am reposting hereas it seems more accurate.

My name is Fred, 45. I am currently owning a RHD 996 Targa that I bought 5 years ago in UK and a new toy : a 997 MK2 Convertible.

First of all, sorry for my English, I'll do my best to be understood. Also, I hope that this topic is the good one...

I've been having some issues with my Targa roof since I've bought my 996. The left side isn't working properly. At the beginning I only had to help the roof sliding with my hands and it was OK but now, it is almost impossible to close it tight.

I've thought it could be because of the left motor so I found a spare one and replaced it, which is quite easy.

dsc05012.jpg

dsc05013.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't change anything. I can hear both motor but it doesn't solve my problem.

Knowing the motor is not in cause, I've made the "rail slides" checked by a (not that clean) mechanic, in order to see if it's twisted or something like that :

img_2025.jpg

It seems to be clear; the mechanic told me he was thinking the issue was because of the left roof cable.

I've asked a Porsche center around Paris what they think about it. The cable (reference 996.562.315.00 if I'm right) is cheap, but they told the whole frame need to be removed in order to replace this cable!

Any idea if it is true?

I am plannig to sell this car (which is on French plate, but used to be UK registered when I bought it) and I am sure that it would be sold more easily with a working roof :D

Thanks by advance for your answers!

I think you'll see Demort posting shortly as he has a lot of experience with Targa Roofs.

:popcorn:

Nice pair of cars to own

Post explaining all about these roofs is here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116450

Im afraid its almost never the motor .. in fact both the motors drive both the cables so replacing a single one is only ever of use if the motor has died .. and they dont .

The cables are housed in tubes which the motors are bolted to .. if its gold then they are original to the car .. if silver then they have been replaced sometime after 2006 .

You have an issue with the cables im afraid .. you have the classic symptoms of a jammed cable .

There is no way of replaceing them with out removing the roof frame.

Its about 2 days labour to replace just the cables plus the parts so to give you an idea its about £2200 to have them replaced .

Word of warning though .. we cant see whats wrong with the mechanism until its removed .. if parts of this need replaceing then you can add another £700.

We tell our customers with these .. hopefully £2200 but budget for £3500 .

Cheapest one ive rebuilt was £2200 .. most expensive and £4500 but thats unusual .. that had water leaks so a new front seal and 2 motors due to worn gears .

EDIT ..

You DONT replace a single cable .. you have to replace the cables and the guide tubes .. its about £290 .

With the roof removed you have to replace the main gasket .. again about £250.

Fred, hi I am sure Ian (demort) will post on this he is a fountain of knowledge on here , we couldn't wish for a better member. He did a superb write up a few months ago on the targa roof. Try a search for roof it may pop up. Otherwise just wait I'm sure he will be along to advise👍
Nice couple of cars you have

Well, thank you deMort and grbspeedster for this very quick reply!

It is bad news indeed... As I said, I am planning to sell the car, so I'm not sure it's worth puttting that kind of money... I'de rather sell it as it is at a bargain price :roll:

Thank you anyway for your help on this!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back