Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C2 Tip Broken down Plan C!!!!

I'm not sure if I understand why it's not worth the repair?

Would it be unreasonable to assume that all the mentioned work would cost no more than £16k (even including a widening of bores by Hartech and a nice shiny switchable exhaust?)
Adding in the value of your current car as it stands, would you find your perfect Hartech rebuild for a similar price?

Bad news, i feel it, But i would be considering spending the money on a Hartech 3.7 rebuild and sort the other jobs on the car,when its done it should be bullet proof for a while. If you buy a new car it too could blow up next month. :?:

...despite all of the evidence and our resident experts indication of the IMS having failed ... it can't possibly be ?...well not according to Alex :frustrated: anyway...

Bad news fella...I feel your pain...hope you find a solution that suits you.

Best wishes...

GMG said:
...despite all of the evidence and our resident experts indication of the IMS having failed ... it can't possibly be ?...well not according to Alex :frustrated: anyway...

Bad news fella...I feel your pain...hope you find a solution that suits you.

Best wishes...

Could be a snapped timing chain or a multiple of other things that without stripping you're second guessing!

I never said it can't possibly be.......you're making stuff up again.

Yeah ok Alex what?

I know what I'm talking about.

So what do you mean?

If you are not repairing it then perhaps give Hartech a ring .. they might be interested in it .

Snapped chain can cause a lot of damage .. maybe not as bad as an IMS but it still isnt cheap .. untill its stripped you cant say and that in its self is not cheap.

Metal indicates an ims though .. snapped chain tends to be no metal .

If the car has other issues then perhaps this is the right descion .

Sorry young man .

Hi OP, really sorry to hear about this. Hope you are able to find a way forward that works out as a replacement. Having experienced this failure, your strategy of considering a Gen 2 or Hartech engine car is a good one.

A spate of failures have occurred recently which is not good for those affected.

All the best

deMort said:
If you are not repairing it then perhaps give Hartech a ring .. they might be interested in it .

Snapped chain can cause a lot of damage .. maybe not as bad as an IMS but it still isnt cheap .. untill its stripped you cant say and that in its self is not cheap.

Metal indicates an ims though .. snapped chain tends to be no metal .

If the car has other issues then perhaps this is the right descion .

Sorry young man .

What the car needs is
Engine rebuild - assume full
New hood and liner
Suspensions still all original - all needs a refresh
Small bits of body work all round, small bits of lacquer etc no rust
Rear spoiler motor
No mesh grill on front, one rad was changed 5 years ago
ABS light is on
Tip gearbox oil change
Discs haven't been changed for 7 years, pads were a two years ago

Anyone fancy giving some rough estimates of cost?

Also what is the car worth as it is?

Few threads going on about buying a 996/997 - I would again, had great 10 years but now budget prob reaches a bit further so makes sense try and avoid this happening again.

Anyone bought from RPM? Seem to have a good reputation. They have got a 996 cab for sale, pretty top money for a higher miler, but everything seems to have been done! Triggers broom springs to mind

Cheers all

When my timing chain snapped I weighted up the alternative's to repairing, I could have broke the whole car and would have got around £7k for all the parts but this would have taken a long time to get rid of everything, I also could have sold it complete for around £6-7k. The value of a facelift 996 back then was around double that or more.

In the end I decided to repair it as the rest of the car was pretty good still and doing a DIY rebuild only cost me £3.5k.

Obviously the engine is the big cost (depending what the problem is) but the other things can be done over time, suspension may not need too much to get it sorted and brakes are cheap enough, other things can wait.

.......and I fir a new hood on mine for £400.

Not at all the type of question i would normally answer or indeed know much about but ..

There are a lot of variables on the engine rebuild and the suspension / bodywork.

I would hazard a guess at around the £18k mark .. whats the car worth .. around the £18k mark .

As it stands to get rid of the car .. you might get £2 - 2.5 k .. a bit more if you were to break it and sell as individual components .. dont even go there .

So .. buy a " new " 996 for im guessing £20k .. which Will need work .. or spend the money fixing what you have in the knowledge its pretty much upto spec .. :?:

I can tell you now .. a lot of garages would be interested in a ground up resto in that sort of budget .. engine rebuild can still be done at hartech .. but they would be interested .. that means cost

Start talking into Feb and March and they wont .. Porsche garages are quiet untill beginning of Feb till middle of Feb .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back