Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road trip. Don't want to go to the EU. USA then...

tyinsky

...flights booked. Shipping getting sorted.

Route (pronounced raought) is going to take a lot of planning to get the mix of decent roads right. Straight stuff like this:

39d0fb98c0530341b51d6ce65be5210c.jpg

And bendy stuff:
f7ea8712149b5dd8c892b11ad984de57.jpg

Will put a blog together if there is enough interest.

Going to start from Tennessee with the Smokys right on my doorstep for a week or so of it and perfect for early morning drives along stretches I've done before like the Tail of the Dragon.

68891b2154f8f2f0a837081e05d5257f.gif

Then a big roadtrip though Alabama, some of Florida, Louisiana, lots of Texas. Possibly out to Arizona and California depending on a few things that may or may not fall into place.

I'm sure I saw a thread some years back now where a group of Porsche owners shipped cars out for a big road trip. Anyone remember it and able to point me in the right direction as I can't find it?

:dance: :dancetwist: :dance:

Attachments

• screenshot_2019_01_03_at_221948_123.png
    screenshot_2019_01_03_at_221948_123.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,424
Awesome. Would love to do something similar in the near future...

I remember a few years ago watching Lonman in his 996GT2 on the Gumball. They shipped the cars over and had some great fun on the highways!

C.

:worship:

G2 said:
Bookmarked. That's gonna take you a while. :thumb:

Well worth heading this place if you can. it puts you on some great roads through the hunting ranches in in the Texas hills https://www.garvenstore.com/pages/about-us (jerkeyworld, is worth the trip alone). ...and nothing like saying you've done the three twisted sisters as part of a road trip https://www.ridetexas.com/the-twisted-sisters/ :thumb:

What time of year are you going?

Twisted Sisters is on the list. Jerky World wasn't but could be now. I'm not a fan but the dog loves it – not sure he will be coming though :grin:

June and a bit either side.

...bon courage...the only thing that would put me off is the thought of just how many Americans you will be exposed to...have you armoured the car? You know how much they like their guns and shooting at stuff,each other and anyone/anything :floor:

GMG said:
...bon courage...the only thing that would put me off is the thought of just how many Americans you will be exposed to...have you armoured the car? You know how much they like their guns and shooting at stuff,each other and anyone/anything :floor:

Given I live with one, and her parents are currently staying with us I'm exposed already. They even taught me how to shoot. :hand: :grin:

Anyway, looking forward to escaping lawless London and the ever increasing risk of being stabbed for a few weeks. Even had to tackle a sex pest who had just attacked a woman on the Thames path yesterday while out running. It's a jungle out there people! :shooter: :nooo:

What a fantastic trip. Would love to hear about the logistics of your trip, things like Insurance, shipping timelines(you may be a Sheik and are airshipping rather than sea😁), what happens at the other end, etc.
I often daydream about driving my car up the Pacific Highway with the sun on my face. I think I've listened to Boys of Summer one too many times
This is going to be an epic thread, and shall be living vicariously through you and your posts on this one.

Amazing, trip of a lifetime!

I recently did a road trip on a smaller scale, the simple California highway 1 from San Fran across to Yosemite, back across to Santa Cruz and worked my way down, Monterey, Laguna Seca, Pismo beach Santa Barbara, Malibu, various other places blah blah got to shitty LA (Been a number of times and hate it, complete dump), San Diego and then worked way through Death Valley to Vegas.

If you do go as far as California, highway 1 is nice and all but I really think you should consider Yosemite, that place blew my mind, the roads getting up to some of the interesting points were amazing! Twisties, banked curves, perfect tarmac, tunnels, it was one of the best experiences ever, while going up, I experienced blazing sunshine, rain, fog, snow, all within an hour. Then you get the views.

I do plan on doing another but going across the country, I want to go from New York and get to California but zig zag my way there, New Orleans, Dallas etc..

I'm envious and pleaseeeeee, do a blog!!! From the point of planning and shipping the car, I would be so interested, so would the wife!

FZP said:
What a fantastic trip. Would love to hear about the logistics of your trip, things like Insurance, shipping timelines(you may be a Sheik and are airshipping rather than sea😁), what happens at the other end, etc.

It is going on a boat. Didn't even look into air shipping, imagine if I find out it is the same price after it spends a couple of weeks at sea!

MarkGolf said:
Amazing, trip of a lifetime!

...you should consider Yosemite, that place blew my mind, the roads getting up to some of the interesting points were amazing! Twisties, banked curves, perfect tarmac, tunnels, it was one of the best experiences ever, while going up, I experienced blazing sunshine, rain, fog, snow, all within an hour. Then you get the views.

This sounds perfect :thumb:

Highway 1 for the ocean views, as said by Mark Golf, Yosemite is just a must-do, the roads and scenery are simply mind blowing. I remember one particular spirited drive back in '87 where my co-driver and I managed to reduce a Chevy V8 to a V7, then V6, before finally ending up on 5 cylinders :grin:

Enjoy yourself, what a trip :worship:

My USA road trip was to the South East so fly to Atlanta, BMW Spartanburg, visit friends in Knoxville via the Great Smokies, to Charlotte for the Coca Cola 400 at NASCAR race, then on to Charleston for some R&R before returning via Atlanta.

I drove the Dragons Tail which was great (still have the T shirt) but I tried to park my huge Caddy Escalade SUV in a motorcyclists parking area and had to reverse out with very large born again bikers grimly looking on as I narrowly missed their bikes.

Lots of great memories but I was a solo traveller and the vast distances in a relatively small part of the USA meant I really needed my R&R in Charleston.

Have a great time..

Some good suggestions people, and nice reading about trips others have done. :thumbs:

Been bashing away at building a blog. I am still some way off getting my web developer badge from the local scout master! :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back