Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Modding a 993 for more focus

HPNer said:
Slightly tongue in cheek perhaps in saying smoke and mirrors, but comparing dyno readings always seems to be a hiding to nothing. Mine has been on a number of different dyno's over the years, 300 bhp, pre-Wayne and 313 post Wayne. That does seem very strong for a non-VR engine.
Of course all these horses are only available at the very top-end of the rev range.On the non-VR the cams come in at around 4,000 so one gets a healthy dose of torque to 5500, and from there the power allows one to slice through the air to 165 mph or thereabouts
:thumb: :grin:

I take dynos with a pinch of salt too but fun to see what the Litchfield Maha dyno reads power at. This is the dyno Porsche and Manthey also use - read Ninemeisters air cooled power claim threads on Rennlist/PH with interest over the years hence it will be v.interesting to see what an engine they finished roughly 15,000 miles/2 or 3 yrs ago is still putting out. Should hopefully now be nicely run in. When I drove the car last year it definitely felt more urgent than a stock 964 C2 engine although I'll still be pleasantly surprised if its a whopping 80bhp more than my old 964 C2 ie the 330bhp Ninemeister claim. Will stick a stock 991 turbo s and 9e 997 turbo on too in order to make sure the dyno is reading accurately on the day :thumbs:

Underlating fast point to point A & B roads, upgrade the suspension to Konis and the arbs , save a tonne of weight by fitting race seats and then head off into the hills/mountains.

The standard 993 has more than enough power for an exciting drive. Modern big hp gains are protected by all kinds of electronic gizmos ..... so what's the point, plus they are so well engineered that they do not feel fast unless your seriously tanking it.

Get Gert to RSR your silencers , fit the RS steering wheel and shifter then head off out and enjoy :thumb:

Hi

My cheapish mods to my 993 Tip:

ER RS spec bushes front and rear (all of them).
Welded front steering arms (so solid like 964s)
Wayne remap with 100 cell sports cats (Gert) in the standard enclosure.
Bilsteins with Standard 029 springs but set at sport height by COGravity.
Atiwe steering wheel with buttons for changes.
Polybushed roll bars.
Big front strut brace.

It drives nicely.

Berni

HPNer said:
Zingari said:
There's only one 993 owner I know who drives his 'up to and beyond the limits' as a daily driver. Step forward HPNer :worship:

After many years of trying to get my car to be agile and feel tight (as opposed to the sloppy thing it was when I bought it), its quite quick enough for UK roads (in Wales anyway) the following is some of the stuff I've placed on my daily driver,in no particular order;
Goldenrod
Shortshift kit
Ohlin's fully adjustable (prototype) Road & Track Coil-overs
Turret cross brace
Bloody thick front anti-roll bar
GT2 Evo 2 (unobtainium) rubber free steering components
RS engine mounts
Cargraphic RS/Cup exhausts (by Thomas Schnarr)
Light weight flywheel etc
MPL Clutch Slave
Wayne Re-map (showing 313bhp - but all smoke and mirrors IMHO)
Big Reds all round
All new electrical sensors, anti-knock sensors, dizzies and leads.
Removal of all PA and other after market Alarm crap (just original Porsche factory alarm) with Tore-B remote entry.
RS-Momo steering wheel.
Full Southbound interior refurb in Nappa.
Scuttle, sills, and chassis rails all sorted, new wings for good measure as slightly corroded.
Full bare metal respray in Riviera Blue
All maintained by the good Dr down at Devizes.
Plus other things I've probably forgotten!

It now drives like it should have, and probably a lot better than new. It handles remarkably well and is super compliant on its 17" Cup 2s, it flies to 6250 in each gear still maxes out at what it should and is a delight, over 110,000 miles and climbing weekly. Puts a smile on my face whatever the weather . . .

:thumb:

Apologies for the thread hijack, but how do you get Big Reds to fit under 17 inch rims, as I thought you needed 18inch wheels for clearance?

No mods needed for big reds with 17" rims. 16 " won't fit though. I use Cup2s 17" with winter tyres on (rarely)

List of mods slightly more than £20,000:-
Sunroof delete
Hans Hahn RS replica seats and door cards
Evo front uprights and trackrods
Pss10s, ER bushes, RS arbs, RS top mounts
Steve Wang Strut brace
Big reds
Speedline 18" RS wheels
Southbound RS carpet set and headlining
RS trunk liner
RS center console
Techequip gearstick and handbrake lever.
RS rear scren
RS shift, Goldenrod
RS engine and gearbox mounts
Vram conversion
Clutch vent delete
Full Fabspeed x-pipe and cans.
Wide oval tips
Lower dash delete (964 fitted)
968 CS steering wheel
OBC retrofit
Headwasher delete
Morimoto + Tore B Hids +cyclops main