Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's the procedure for swapping bank 1 variocam solenoid?

Alex

I'm just about to have bank 1 variocam solenoid replaced by my mechanic. I've been told this is the procedure below (I think). Can someone confirm:

Remove bank 1 exhaust manifold.
Lock the engine at TDC.
Slacken off bank 1 chain tensioner.
Disconnect solenoid plug.
Remove solenoid cover plate and seal.
Remove rocker cover.
Remove solenoid from variocam assembly.
Fit new solenoid.
Assemble back together in reverse order.
(Check chain guide wear whilst in there).

If anyone knows a better way or something I've got wrong, please comment.

:)

Demort!?! :success:

Good luck!

BTW do you do upgraded bushes for the OEM SSK? Your reputation for good handiwork has spread :thumbs:

And happy new year :cheers:

Cheers! :viking:

I probably could do if the SSK was the same design as the cheapo Chinese copies. :thumbs:

ragpicker said:
If you're going that far Alex its worth putting a new set of tappets in too :thumb:

Mission creep.........it'll end up a 3.7 if I go down that road :grin:

alex yates said:
Cheers! :viking:

I probably could do if the SSK was the same design as the cheapo Chinese copies. :thumbs:

I'm sure they were inspired by something! :lol:

So sorry .. i somehow missed this post yesterday :oops:

Single solinoid so just vario cam and the above is pretty much there but you need to lock down the camshafts .. tool at the rear to hold them .

Vario cam plus .. so x2 solinoids and you undo the x2 torx bolts for the seal , remove it and then the solinoids pull out.

Manuals are here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

But i think you already have them .

You can only lock one cam on the 3.4 can't you?

Thanks for the help mate :thumb:

Edit: I searched for the manual for it but couldn't find it.

Pm sent .. you lock the cams on each side as you work on them .. all you are doing by this is holding them in place , its not a timeing check .. check pm as i have to log now .. ill check here tomorrow after work though .. if you want my number ( i thought you had it ? ) then pm me .

I'll make one.

Would make one like this (the smaller of the 2):

DSCN1512+Copy1332730397.jpg

Edit: I didn't realise you've to lock the cams down along the length of them, thought you just had to lock them on the end :?

I'll be borrowing the kit me thinks.

Fancy knocking up 2 Alex ?

I'm needing to do tappets on mine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back