Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cold engine ticking noise....

Milo72

Went out and started my car for the first time in about 3 weeks and there was a ticking noise coming from the right hand side..... the blood instantly drained from me and I thought about listing a kidney on eBay to pay for the Hartech repair.

When the car came up to temperature it went away, was it just because all the oil had drained away from that side. I had a borescope about 20 miles ago and although there was slight marking, nothing significant to suggest bore issues.

Any ideas ?

Probably just a lazy lifter.
The only solution is to use it more.

kas750 said:
Probably just a lazy lifter.
The only solution is to use it more.

:thumb:

Going for a blast this afternoon...

I had this too, it was quite noticeable after the engine was rebuilt, noise would be intermittent, usually from cold and sometimes when it was warm too! Strangely, the ticking gradually went away over the course of several months and now is gone altogether!

I was chatting to Milo about something else via pm when he mentioned this .. my basic desription of the tappets that i sent him ..

Its what we call sticking tappets .. think of 2 buckets one inside of the other that are kept appart by oil / oil pressure .. cars left for a period of time can loose some of that oil and so cause a small gap .. normally they are pressed outwards against the valve and the camshaft .

This will cause a rattle untill they refill .. as the holes are tiny then this often doesnt go away untill the car is fully warmed up.

Its a little more complicated than that but this gives a basic understanding of a tappet .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back