Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headunit removal - what''s this wire please?

gav_sw20

Removed the headunit recently and have this random loose cable that's not plugged into an ISO block.

I think it may be to do with the head-unit CD player as hear a 'clicking' noise.

Does anyone have any ideas what it's for please and more importantly what / where it should be connected to?

Attachments

• ba12623f_1fd1_4d6b_a7c6_4626b47ac57e_109.jpeg
    ba12623f_1fd1_4d6b_a7c6_4626b47ac57e_109.jpeg
    741.8 KB · Views: 1,538
Where does the thick black wire go? They look like they belong together. Large gauge supply wires, pehaps for an amp'?

MC

Can you confirm the colour of it .. it looks orange but if brown then its an earth lead.

The black plug has extra wires going into it so its been rewired.

Also that gold box at the back looks like an aftermarket amp which i guess is what the taped up loom going from the black plug goes to.

Attachments

• wires_1_482.jpg
    wires_1_482.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,511
Thanks for the quick responses.

Am sure the cable is brown although will I will remove this week to confirm.

The thing at the back of the image is just a piece of corrugated cardboard. Not sure if it's purpose TBH.

Here is another image of the head-unit before I unplugged the cables.

Attachments

• a707b72c_62a1_4163_8008_bba2a4c4ee47_167.jpeg
    a707b72c_62a1_4163_8008_bba2a4c4ee47_167.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 1,499
Ok well that brown wire should go into pin A8 of the black plug .. but theres already a brown wire in there along with the red wire connected to the thick green red wire (at least it looks like that to me )

these are not standard wires so that felt taped loom must go to something.

i cant say if its a power take off for something or the plug has been rewired for some reason but it does need checking .

On the black plug you have bare wires indicateing its been rewired as well .. thats definatly not standard.

First thing i would check is that the brown wire in A8 is an Earth , i would confirm the disconnected wire is also an earth but as its standard as per the wiring diagram then it should be .

Then i would want to know what that extra loom does and if i actually needed to reconnect the disconnected wire.

Logically with no earth wire there the head unit wouldn,t work so theres something strange going on there unles of cource it fell out when you removed the PCM and now the PCM doent actually work.

BTW .. there shouldn,t be cardboard there so again it makes me wonder why its been put there .

The PCM looks to be standard with an inbuilt amp .. no phone and no nav to me .. parrot system perhaps ?

PCM = Headunit.

EDIT ..

Its not uncommon to have the CD drive click at times so it may be normal.

Thanks for the detailed information.

I will take the head-unit out and get some further images and work out what's going where and if there is any 3rd party kit hiding somewhere.

I'm looking to replace the PCM with one of the new Sony XAV headunits. I have a Transit Blu but still want proper satnav on my screen rather than looking at my phone all the time.

Will this be all I need to purchase please? https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/por...ite-double-din-fascia-wiring-antenna-kit.html

and

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/son...ple-carplay-android-auto-tm-dab-receiver.html

Im afraid thats a question for the others here .. i fix Porsches so when it comes to any mods im well out of my depth.

You might want to do a seperate post on this if you dont get any answers here .

Btw is that a full Red interior ? unusual if so .. i think ive only ever seen a couple since the car first came out .

No problem, I will start another post.

It's more a terracotta colour, but yes it's full leather throughout the car incl. dash. The car is grey so sets it off well, I like retro (also have a 944S2) so it caught my eye but isn't for everyone.

Here's a couple, suppose I should start a proper thread really with all my photos.

Also included is my old Cayman I sold before I got the 911.

Attachments

• a9d86e68_7e68_49f3_89c0_0d24a7ff8e9a_501.jpeg
    a9d86e68_7e68_49f3_89c0_0d24a7ff8e9a_501.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,399
  • cdfedf53_c87c_4f95_8c9a_a896058fe834_213.jpeg
    cdfedf53_c87c_4f95_8c9a_a896058fe834_213.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 1,399
  • 378e31b2_a2cb_47b6_a591_71f8db2607b2_181.jpeg
    378e31b2_a2cb_47b6_a591_71f8db2607b2_181.jpeg
    995.9 KB · Views: 1,399
gav_sw20 said:
Thanks for the detailed information.

I will take the head-unit out and get some further images and work out what's going where and if there is any 3rd party kit hiding somewhere.

I'm looking to replace the PCM with one of the new Sony XAV headunits. I have a Transit Blu but still want proper satnav on my screen rather than looking at my phone all the time.

Will this be all I need to purchase please? https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/por...ite-double-din-fascia-wiring-antenna-kit.html

and

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/son...ple-carplay-android-auto-tm-dab-receiver.html

The wiring connector you need will depend on whether you have Bose or not and whether you intend to use the Sony head unit amp or the whichever type you have?

Might be worth checking what that cardboard is doing there, maybe a previous owner has been messing around! There is also a brown wire that looks like it is coming loose form the black connector, some exposed copper wires, check that it hasn't been pulled away from its connection!

The car doesn't have BOSE and would be looking to use the amp in the Sony.

To confirm, everything on the PCM is working perfectly. Satnav, radio, head unit CD. Although I've never used the multichanger.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back