Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoke from alternator after cleaning car!! Horrid smell

NLW73

Folks urgent ask ..just cleaning car and noticed a burning smell..opened engine lid and smoke coming from alternator area.

Has stopped now but bit worrying anyone had that before??

Car starts and runs so not sure if I have fubarred the alternator or just some water hitting electrics?

Should I unplug the battery as worried about leaving it now??
Thanks nw

Jeez, thought you would have had the benefit of a reply by now... It is years since I worked on a Porsche and have little to no knowledge of modern car circuitry or how much if any re-programming might be needed if a battery is disconnected but my advice.. 50 yrs a spark... is to disconnect the earth lead at the battery and seek professional advice... If you have AA, RAC, or other backup then perhaps worth giving them a call..? if not there may be a mobile auto electrician in your area... but disconnect the battery for sure..

Hope DeMort picks up on this.

Good luck.

First off sorry for the late reply .. im never online in the mornings .

I assume you have the battery disconnected now ?

Did water get into the alternator ?

Car started and ran but was it charging the battery ?

Ive only seen this once and it was after an alternator replacement .. the main power lead was fitted into the wrong slot .. there are 2 and an easy mistake .. this in turn made it slightly touch the engine block causing the lead to melt.

Water in the alternator could in theory do the same but it would need a fair bit in there and ive seen rather a lot of cars washed but never this so atm im unconvinced.

Acrid burning smell .. thats plastic melting so main power lead or internal to the alternator.

With out seeing the car im afraid i will have to go with the safe option .. a garage or yourself needs to remove the alternator and have a good look at the leads .

There is No fuse on the main power lead .. its about 1cm squared of copper and direct to the battery .. very unsafe if it does short out .. hence im going with get it checked out .

Just water on the multi-rib belt?

Mine sometimes squeals if I've been cleaning with a pressure washer and waters got under there.

thanks for the replies.

i think the alternator has just toasted itself as I now have the warning light on the dash saying battery charging unit error so am guessing its fubarred itself

its probably the brushes have gone

the car was not running when it went and started smoking so could not be belt.

Sounds like you have fried the electrics on the alternator..... not nice! Take alternator off and send for repairs....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back