Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Condensation

Robert SausageTrousers

My 2005 997 gets very condensated when it's left, yesterday I was at work all day and when I got back in the car the screen was ridiculously steamed up, it was dripping on the inside and took ages to clear properly.

I assuming this isn't the norm and I have an issue? I've checked to see if the drivers/passenger footwells are dry and they are, is there anything else I can check?

Rear footwells and door cards at the bottom. leave your aircon on all the time when the car is in use. Also doesn't help that the engine is at the rear so no heat round the bulkhead.

Do you have a damp cloth or similar in the cabin? It would be enough to create moisture on the inside of the windows and windscreen, particularly at this time of year.

If its dripping off the screen and not just misty then there Is water in the car.

The only proper way to check if the carpets are damp is to actually get your hand under them and feel the foam there .

The foam is about 2 inches thick so unless you have a major amount of water in the car then it wont feel damp just feeling the top of the carpet .

Front drains .. door membrains are the usual culprits .

For me i would remove the side panel trims to get undet the carpet . the switch pack one o/s and same one n/f .

For the rears just lift up the back of the carpet .

If you have had water leaks in the past and not had the carpet properly dryed then it will be from that .

Leaving a dehumidifier in the car overnight is a good way to dry your carpets out after the leak is sorted.

...mine lives in the garage with the windows down try this to let the car breathe...additionally I leave the air con on always, never turn it off, on all of my cars...

Sounds leaky though?

Thanks all, i'll investigate the rear carpets etc. The air con is permanently on and there's nothing damp in the car (to my knowledge)

Demort, you may have hit the nail on the head with the door membrane, as I had problems with my CL a couple of months back so the door was stripped and the gubbins greased (or whatever) so the membrane may well have not been replaced properly, I'll have a look at the carpets etc but the membrane will be my next port of call.

Thanks again.

If you want to test the door membrains then just hose down the door for 5 mins .. open it and feel along the base of the door card .. it will be wet if they are leaking .

You can easily feel the foam under the rears as the carpet buts up against the underpart of the seat and you can slide your hand through the gap and under the carpet.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back