Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wet boot gen 1 997

turbulence997

I had stashed one of the wife's Christmas pressies in the boot, went to get it out on Xmas eve and found that the box was wet on the bottom. Well pleased as it was one of those dyson hair thingys that cost a fortune! Anyway the real problem is why have I got a damp carpet on my bone dry garaged C2S? There has been tons of rain recently and I did notice that the garage definitely felt a little damp, any cardboard boxes etc in there felt as if they were slightly damp. Now the bonnet on my car is always slightly open so that the cable from my battery conditioner can be plugged in. I keep some oil and washer fluid in there, no leaks from them. The OPC changed both condensers a few years back along with various rad piping, don't think I have any leaks there.
The fluid is clear, non smelling, slightly greasy and when dry on my fingers ever so slightly tacky to the touch. I'm hoping this is just condensation but not holding my breath. The car doesn't ever get left outside and only very rarely is out in the rain, the wet patch is offside at the lowest part of the boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

👍

If the car is in the garage then it cant be a leak , again bonnet open a bit would rule out condensation .. mind you maybe not ..

Have you had the car wet vac,ed at all ? that would cause condensation .

No bottles leaking , there is no fluid chambers in there save one ..

Brake resevoir .. i very much doubt its leaking but sometimes when changing brake pads people dont empty the resevoir .. hence when the pads are pushed back it will over flow ...

Its also on the o/s so a possible but thats more oil based than water .

If we go for a leak .. so normal driving in the wet .. on the o/s/f there is a wiring grommet .. follow the chassis rail under the carpet .. people have been known to punch a hole in this to run wires out or into the luggage area .. this is known to cause water leaks .

Have a good look at the bonnet seal .. all the same lvl and not damaged at any point .

Check the drain bungs each side of the battery ..

Ive not seen a leak from the bulkhead panel (battery ) to the luggage area but if i could find nothing else then i would be having all the carpets out to look .. if doing this then water test it .. pour water over the front end for 5 mins then open and look for leaks basically .

Thanks for the reply deMort. I think I have got to the bottom of it. Earlier this year it was in the OPC for its 4 year/40,000 mile service. I got it back and stuck it in the garage, next thing it's dropping dot4 all over the floor, they had replaced all but one of the bleed nipples for some reason, the one they didn't change ended up going faulty. Took it back to them and they sorted it, topping up the reservoir etc.

I've just pulled all the carpet and trim and checked for leaks as I feared a leaking pipe or something. Now the lowest part of the boot was full of brake fluid. No evidence of any leaking plus a full reservoir, all dry in that respect. I suspect now that on one of its last two visits to the OPC they have spilled fluid in my boot whilst topping up the reservoir. I've only driven it a thousand miles since it was last in and barely use the boot, I just drive it for fun when I'm home and if the weathers good. Not noticed it until the other day.

I have to say that if that's what's happened I've had it with them. From over charging me for consumables, cocking up the service, telling me my car was ready and when I get there it's not even been started! Four days it took them.

Wellll .. ive never seen a leaking brake fluid resevoir and im not actually sure it is in anyway possible .. but changing bleed nipples cant really over fill the resevoir .

Changeing pads and it can and its normally a small amount .. it will give a damp effect of the carpets but also brake fluid is corrosive to bodywork so if it is that then you need to clean it or neutralise it .. brake cleaner will do that .

If a nipple is pretty much seized then cracking it a bit then tightening it can leave debris under the thread .. it can leak after this .. this isnt an opc thing ... it can happen to all of us .

I wouldn,t like you to stop useing a garage based on what i think though .. im just guessing at the end of the day .

I may be at an Indy these days but i dont like to put down an OPC unless its warrented .

Some very fine mechaincs work at my old OPC and i have every faith in them .

if you were local then i could easily confirm either way .. but im afraid no one on here seems to live anywhere near me .. sigh .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back