Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ohlins Suspension Upgrade and Refresh

DucatiRob

Merry Christmas fellow 911uk'ers!

My present to myself this year was these beauties:

image3a.jpg
image2a.jpg

Great price from Design911 with their festive discount (11%) :thumb:

Planning to refresh the suspension at the same time and would be interested to hear from members who have done the same or similar, what components would be worth swapping out while it is apart and what else to look out for?

I think the top mounts are a no brainer while the new struts are being fitted, these look like great value and seem to have good reviews:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...ith-Powerflex-Bushes-/332716289344?nav=SEARCH

Not entirely convinced that Powerflex bushes are the way to go, any experience?

I might have a go at fitting the à–hlins myself, but will possibly get it all done by Centre Gravity where it will go for a full geo anyway!

Nothing useful to add other than
- yes I would get it all done by CG
- I'm jealous!

DucatiRob said:
Merry Christmas fellow 911uk'ers!

My present to myself this year was these beauties:

image3a.jpg
image2a.jpg

Great price from Design911 with their festive discount (11%) :thumb:

Planning to refresh the suspension at the same time and would be interested to hear from members who have done the same or similar, what components would be worth swapping out while it is apart and what else to look out for?

I think the top mounts are a no brainer while the new struts are being fitted, these look like great value and seem to have good reviews:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...ith-Powerflex-Bushes-/332716289344?nav=SEARCH

Not entirely convinced that Powerflex bushes are the way to go, any experience?

I might have a go at fitting the à–hlins myself, but will possibly get it all done by Centre Gravity where it will go for a full geo anyway!

Hi Rob, good shout, they are great at the price point, improving the feel of the car by miles. Not perfect- but good.

I would do the diagonal arms all round, (obviously funds dependent), as these make an enormous difference to ride quality and precision of steering etc.

Top mounts - yep. Check all drop links before removing the old stuff and change any that are even remotely suspect.

Good luck mate :thumb:

Edited to add; CG will do a mint job of setting the car up to suit your driving style.

I replaced front top mounts, control arms with powerflex bushes, tuning forks, drop links and track rods.

Well worth doing in my opinion if you're going to the trouble of changing the suspension.

If you're doing it yourself be prepared to struggle getting the coffin arms off.The bolts in all of mine were ceased to the point where they had to be cut out with a reciprocating saw.

DynoMike said:
Hi Rob, good shout, they are great at the price point, improving the feel of the car by miles. Not perfect- but good.

I would do the diagonal arms all round, (obviously funds dependent), as these make an enormous difference to ride quality and precision of steering etc.

Top mounts - yep. Check all drop links before removing the old stuff and change any that are even remotely suspect.

Good luck mate :thumb:

Edited to add; CG will do a mint job of setting the car up to suit your driving style.

Hi Mike

I'm not expecting miracles from the Ohlins to be honest, there are much better coilovers out there, there own TTX units for a start, but they are vastly more expensive and more suited to track use, not something I plan on doing often!

The kit from Spyderperformance has the diagonals and bushes, guessing the diagonals are the source of my low speed knocking!

The drop links are a good call, trying to source some reasonably priced adjustable ones which I think will be a good idea bearing in mind the lowering of the car!

ninenineseven said:
I replaced front top mounts, control arms with powerflex bushes, tuning forks, drop links and track rods.

Well worth doing in my opinion if you're going to the trouble of changing the suspension.

If you're doing it yourself be prepared to struggle getting the coffin arms off.The bolts in all of mine were ceased to the point where they had to be cut out with a reciprocating saw.

Agree, replacing the whole lot maybe the best option as needing to change anything later may be false economy!

How did you find the Powerflex bushes, have heard they can creak a little?

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to get CG to do the whole lot!

DucatiRob said:
ninenineseven said:

Agree, replacing the whole lot maybe the best option as needing to change anything later may be false economy!

How did you find the Powerflex bushes, have heard they can creak a little?

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to get CG to do the whole lot!

I did this - ohlins and CG. By the time we were all done I was in for around 4K - not cheap but hard to beat in terms of peace of mind.

Hi Rob.

Great choice of coilovers. As mentioned above there are better set ups. However for the road they are pretty much spot on.

I fitted the coilovers, front and rear top mounts. Control arms. Drop links and RSS engine mounts.

I didnt have any knocks before and dont have any now.

It's a pretty easy DIY, the only issue I had was with removing some bolts but MAPP gas is your friend.

Kind regards.

RXP. said:
Hi Rob.

Great choice of coilovers. As mentioned above there are better set ups. However for the road they are pretty much spot on.

I fitted the coilovers, front and rear top mounts. Control arms. Drop links and RSS engine mounts.

I didnt have any knocks before and dont have any now.

It's a pretty easy DIY, the only issue I had was with removing some bolts but MAPP gas is your friend.

Kind regards.

Hi RXP,

Good to hear you're pleased with the set up! I am sure I could tackle it myself given the time, and I might still do that, but the price CG have quoted is it's very tempting to get them to do the whole lot!

Just curious, what are the better or alternative setups out there?

TTX, Intrax, 3 way KW's and Nitrons and even possibly the Bilstein Damptronics if there isn't a back log.

But these all would only be an upgrade over OEM if set up correctly otherwise if you have a poor set up it could potentially be worse or at best almost as good as OEM, in which case... whats the point?

apollokre1d said:
Just curious, what are the better or alternative setups out there?

My personal favourites are Quantum. I approached Patrick of QRS to see what he could do but it would have involved removal of the dampers a couple of times to optimise the spring rates for my particular car/driving style. I can't do the work myself anymore, so elected for the Ohlins.

Exe-tc are reputedly very similar to the Quantums but more expensive.
Tractive make good stuff. Ohlins TTX, possibly Nitron but no experience of them myself.

As you can see there are many variations on a theme here, but personally I went for the best performance for the price point.

RXP. said:
TTX, Intrax, 3 way KW's and Nitrons and even possibly the Bilstein Damptronics if there isn't a back log.

But these all would only be an upgrade over OEM if set up correctly otherwise if you have a poor set up it could potentially be worse or at best almost as good as OEM, in which case... whats the point?

Fair point :)

I ask because I've just picked up my car from 9e after getting the Bilstein Damptronics fitted (after waiting well over a year for them) and so far am really impressed. I was always led to think the Ohlins were excellent or even the best but I did not want to lose the PASM / DSC module which is why I went with the Damptronics.

DynoMike said:
My personal favourites are Quantum. I approached Patrick of QRS to see what he could do but it would have involved removal of the dampers a couple of times to optimise the spring rates for my particular car/driving style. I can't do the work myself anymore, so elected for the Ohlins.

Tractive make good stuff. Ohlins TTX, possibly Nitron but no experience of them myself.

As you can see there are many variations on a theme here, but personally I went for the best performance for the price point.

Thanks so much for the info, really good to hear there are so many alternatives out there.

apollokre1d said:
RXP. said:

Fair point :)

I ask because I've just picked up my car from 9e after getting the Bilstein Damptronics fitted (after waiting well over a year for them) and so far am really impressed. I was always led to think the Ohlins were excellent or even the best but I did not want to lose the PASM / DSC module which is why I went with the Damptronics.

DynoMike said:

Thanks so much for the info, really good to hear there are so many alternatives out there.

I live 10 mins away from 9e and Parr Motorsport. If you are not too far away you are more than welcome to come and check out the Ohlins.

RXP. said:
I live 10 mins away from 9e and Parr Motorsport. If you are not too far away you are more than welcome to come and check out the Ohlins.

Thanks so much :thumb: I need to let the suspension set in and then will take it back to 9e for a checkup before a track day so I'll drop you a PM closer to the time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back