Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

10 year refresh... have i missed anything?

Richtw

So my car 997.2 C4S is coming up for 10 years old next year and I am planning for the following:

Front coffin arms (they need doing)
Water pump (because I am paranoid)
Tandem pump (as above)

Is there anything else that I should consider? The car has been serviced well through its life to the books with regular oil changes, plugs, serpentine belts, had the PDK oil changed last year etc etc....

Anything else I should look at as part of my massive paranoia which in my head leaves me stranded in the new forest with my engine in bits all over the road ;)

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone....

My understanding is that you have to drop the engine in order to do the tandem pump (happy to be corrected on this). If so, that gives access to the pipes (coolant? brake fluid? not sure) that run above the engine, so they could be replaced as a preventative.
Also, take off the front bumper to see whether the rads and condensors need to be replaced.
BTW, which garage do you use? I ask because I'm quite close to Winchester, so just curious.

Engine Mounts? depends on the mileage and use

rear anti roll bar bushes

ally plates that cover the spark plugs?

I highly doubt the tandem pump needs an engine drop as it's right at the back of the engine near the exhaust. Water pump requires a bit more effort as from what I've read in the past requires supporting the engine to get to the pump, but not engine out to do either job.

Coolant expansion tank?

For a 2010 car it's not ten next year.

I'd just replace anything worn and keep up with servicing. I'm not convinced some of the preventative measures are worthwhile based on low rate of failure.

Magic919 said:
For a 2010 car it's not ten next year.

I'd just replace anything worn and keep up with servicing. I'm not convinced some of the preventative measures are worthwhile based on low rate of failure.

Agree with this 100%. There is a guy on PH who has just clocked over 100K in a 987 Spyder, which is an awsome achievment in itself, during that time all he has had to do is service it.

Young man .. replaceing parts that are not broken :hand:

Lol fair enough it your that worryed but if you take a photo of the tandem pump i can soon tell you if it needs replaceing or not .

I also dont think i ive replaced a Gen 2 water pump yet .. might have .. i just dont remember seeing one go as of yet .

There is nothing really that sticks out as they are pretty reliable so far .. but 2 items which should have been checked on serviceing is plugs replaced every 4 years and the drive belt tensioner .. thats a must to have that checked .

The tensioner is actually on a pivot , to a lot of guys they change the belt but dont realise its the bolt moveing as the tensioner pivot has seized .

My 10 year old 997.1 has had the following after 50,000

Tandem pump
All exhaust fixings
Front coolant pipes
Front and rear diagonal arms / track control arms
Front and rear top mounts and bump stops
New dampers (but that was by choice).
Steering links
New front condensers
Belt tensioner plus belt, and a pulley in there too.

And about to get new heat shields.

Counter Of Beans said:
My understanding is that you have to drop the engine in order to do the tandem pump (happy to be corrected on this). If so, that gives access to the pipes (coolant? brake fluid? not sure) that run above the engine, so they could be replaced as a preventative.
Also, take off the front bumper to see whether the rads and condensors need to be replaced.
BTW, which garage do you use? I ask because I'm quite close to Winchester, so just curious.

Brookspeed. They have been brilliant!!

How can you tell when you need to replace the drive belt tensioner?

Do all the rollers need replacing too?

Jam911 said:
How can you tell when you need to replace the drive belt tensioner?

Do all the rollers need replacing too?

Its only the gen 2 belt tensioner that suffers .. Gen 1 is normally fine.

To check that and any of the other idlers then you first have to have a noise .. no noise and no fault :D

You would remove the airbox then pop off the drive belt .. then its just a case of spinning each pully in turn and seeing which one makes a noise .

Thanks for the info DeMort

deMort said:
I also dont think i ive replaced a Gen 2 water pump yet .. might have .. i just dont remember seeing one go as of yet .

Mine has required replacement twice! AFAIK, they were notoriously a little bit dodgy. The first replacement was handled by the previous owner and the second by us (at around £1,200 incl. labour I believe).

I have however been reliably informed that the part has since been rectified by Porsche to address its tendency to fail, and that if yours requires changing it shouldn't happen again. Hope so anyway :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back