Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 996 this week......?

Amp Hound 2 from Cal-Van tools in the USA on ebay for £68.
The same company sells them on Amazon UK for £168. Hopefully import duty etc will be less than £100?

Fuel Filler Cap, seal was split

Front Lid Actuator;
It had become intermittent and fortunately failed open.
Upon removal I found the old one full of water :eek:
I'm now wondering if it might also be the cause of my intermittent flat battery problem. We'll see.
Next question is where the water's coming from..... :?:

I bought 240l of 107 octane race fuel for my turbo :bandit:

MC

Biovox said:
No, but it's all I can afford this week after last month's treat :D

Very nice! Judging by the rear badge it is clearly not standard... What is it running then?

Kingb4 said:
Have treated the car to a service at the Porsche dealership in January. Found an OPC that will offer the classic service price - so only £310 and you get a courtesy car for the day.....was originally planning to service it myself, but decided it was worth keeping the FSH.

In preparation for the service have bought a Millers oil-analysis kit (so will get a sample before they change the oil). Have also bought a magnetic sump plug, which I will ask them to fit, when they change the oil....

Well worth keeping the service history up as you say. Hopefully you'll get a decent courtesy car. I got a macan S last time the family car went in. That alone makes it worth going to OPC IMO.

I bought a mega pile of bits:

AOS (being the tit I am I seemed to have ordered the 996.2 type though, so I'll have to return that)
Breather hoses that clip onto the AOS as both appear to have cracks and are oil misting at the AOS.
Cam chain tensioners - it's an original '98 engine that's been unopened, and the tensioners have gone through several revisions so seemed sensible to change
Drivebelt pullies - 997 plastic type as they're lighter, mine whine like mad, I could have just got bearings but every little weight saving helps
Alt>Starter>Battery post wire
Engine>body earth strap - as mine looks ancient
Battery>body earth strap - as the last time I had the battery off, it didn't look amazing
Various plenum seals/o rings - as I'll be having it all apart to clean up anyway.
Variocam solenoid caps - as mine leak
Replacement alternator - my charge current/voltage is rather low
The usual filters - ready for a service at the same time

So it'll be a big old job in the new year! I'm weighing up whether dropping the engine to get to the AOS might outweigh the time taken to operate through the engine lid opening to remove the plenums etc..

Some makeup for the old girl :) GTechniq Glass Care Kit - after removing the rear wiper and adding the delete bung (decent match given the original colour LM6X), ~30 minute job - I thought I'd just have some rain repellent Insurance! 3 coats of G1 on the windscreen, 2 on the rear screen and 1 on the side windows. The 15ml bottles are good for 1 car

911tom - it's essentially the 9e35 package with rebuilt standard K24s plus uprated Do88 ICs. Kens calculated ~500RWHP with 18% transmission loss so that would suggest ~590BHP. Certainly feels it and very pleased with the results, sound is intoxicating :D

Attachments

• 20181224_110727_shrunk_200.jpg
    20181224_110727_shrunk_200.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 3,460
Hi Biovox. Sounds awesome. Congrats

A pair of Porsche dealer plates as mine had other dealer plates on and bought some H&R 30mm lowering springs.

Mat138l said:
A pair of Porsche dealer plates as mine had other dealer plates on and bought some H&R 30mm lowering springs.

Where's best place for springs?

Three small bearings ready for yet another job that has cropped up :x

31734781657_4d31279ea4_z.jpg

What's them for Chris?

infrasilver said:
Got noisy idler pulleys so this is a cheaper option than the £70 each for all three.

Liking the sound of this, or rather lack of! :grin: :thumb:

infrasilver said:
Got noisy idler pulleys so this is a cheaper option than the £70 each for all three.

:thumb:

Couple of things today..

I've had the car over two years, and both visor flaps had fallen apart, so it's nice to repair them with new ones. Pricey though.

Also, removed the ashtray and fitted the more useful tray. Not pictured, but also replaced the cig lighter socket with the later (smaller) socket and non smoker 'plug'.

Nice little things to do on a cool Saturday afternoon..

Attachments

• img_6081_167.jpg
    img_6081_167.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 4,533
  • img_6085_905.jpg
    img_6085_905.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 4,533

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member