Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I bought a cayenne GTS (with a dodgy starter...)

markz86

Monza
So I decided to replace my CRV beater with a 955 cayenne.

After some looking round I quickly persuaded myself to ditch the idea of a 'cheap V6 and spend a little more for the GTS.

I purchased the car from 'my next car" in Bedford - they have a mix of stock ranging from £4-5K high mileage ex-company cars up to Ferrari's.

I purchased the for £11K, I noted that it struggled to start and was advised it was a battery issue as it had been sitting a few weeks and that it would charge on the way home.

Long story short but it didn't. I also noticed that it was leaking coolant. I raised the issue with the dealer and they immediately confirmed via email that if I arranged to get the issues sorted locally, they would reimburse me in full.

A Bosch S5 and a new radiator later (total cost £1200) and I thought all would be better, however the starting issue was not resolved.

When I turn the key I get a short engine turn and then click, turn it again and the engine will turn over slowly for half a second then fire right up. It iusually fires up on the second turn, sometimes 3, 4 or 5th and is generally worse when cold especially in the cold weather these last few days.

A quick bit of research and it looks like the starter needs to be replaced. I contacted the dealer again and without hesitation I got the same response as last time. So they're facing another bill for circa £750.

Needless to say I'm delighted with the service recieved. A great price initally (10% off the advertised price) and they have allowed me to use my usual trusted Indy's to get the work done (I.e. not the cheapest labour rate)

Just goes to show, there are some decent dealers out there!

There are coolant pipes that run over the starter motor , if they leak it will damage the starter .. you cant tell untill you remove the inlet mainifold .

Selling dealer seems to be pretty dam good though in covering the cost .. a rare treat these days .

I can say they made no profit on selling the car though .. the mark up just isnt that high .

Is the leaking coolant pipes still an issue on the 957? I'll get them checked whilst the starter is getting fitted.

Is the leaking coolant pipes still an issue on the 957? I'll get them checked whilst the starter is getting fitted.

Surprised in a way to hear that, but glad you've had a good experience :thumbs:

Known locally as being :bandit: who just Pheonix the company every so often :nooo:

You should have said you were going to see it as it's only about 20 mins away from me :thumb:

Mine is exactly the same as yours, I'm waiting for it to it to pack in completely but it keeps going 🤷🏻"â™‚️It's not the £100 to rebuild the starter it's the 4 hrs to get get it out and put it all back 🙄
Ps, if you still have the plastic coolant pipes now is the time to replace them :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back