Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car won't move

adspencer

Hi, haven't used the car for about 4 weeks and it has been garaged in that time. Went to take it out today and it won't move, it rocks a bit but won't go. I can only think the pads have stuck to the discs ? I have given it a bit of revs but won't free up, anyone any ideas how I can free them up ?

Thanks, Adam.

Sorry I can't help but it reminds me of the time (many years ago) when my mate had a similar problem with a his Ford Capri left parked on his drive way. The AA man couldn't believe what the problem was.

Someone had jacked the car up and nicked his propshaft. :eek:

I've had the same and I think you're right about the pads sticking. Mine did free after some revs but it did go with a bang. Only other thing I can suggest is wheels off and pads out.

Don't try to drive to unhook them you could tear the pad material from the backing and cause a bigger problem, don't ask me how I know this can happen :x

Use a screwdriver to lever the pads from the discs a little but I would think it is the handbrake shoes that are stuck, to release these give the rear hub/disc bell a few taps with a hammer and this should release them, use something like a jack handle to hit with the hammer if you can't get a hammer in or remove the wheels if you don't want to catch the wheel with the hammer.

Thanks for all the replies, will be post Christmas before I get out and tackle that now :x

It'll be the handbrake as Infrasilver says- this is why I chock the wheeels of mine when it's in the garage rather than using the handbrake.

Never park cars up(more than 2 weeks) with handbrakes on, especially if they are outside. 👍

As per Dammit, I never use handbrake when mines in the garage, just a wooden chock.
I also leave in neutral and rock back and forwards occasionally to stop pads sticking.

I have to push mine forward to get things from the back of the garage (such as a bike), so pull the chock out from under the front wheel, put it at the edge of the garage floor, roll the car forwards, then push it back and re-chock when done.

45473491325_29b0baccb9_b.jpg

Evening

A post about a year ago mentioned washing the car & driving it straight into his garage then not moving it for about a month, had the same problem as the pads had stuck to the discs. Rocking montion back & forth at slow revs solved the problem ( that's if you have washed the car previously ) before storage ????

Difficult at this time of year, mines a weekend car and clean so it gets cleaned down after a drive, usually I'll let it dry naturally or at worst a bit of back and forth on the brakes to dry them off but at winter they do end up going back in damp. I never use the handbrake, in fact I rarely use a handbrake full stop, just leaving cars in gear?!?

Thanks for everyone's replies, finally got back to this today. So went with the gentle rocking back and forth on low revs and it worked :D Took about 5-10 mins and really gentle but everything feels and looks good. Had given it a quick wash before putting it away so lesson learnt :eek: Now onto the next thing, intermittent wiper not working!

Thanks again, Adam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back