Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 not intended as a scare story and is just my Car

I can do it!
I'm just down t`road (cuz i'm oop norf) from Hartech.
I can collect it and pootle it around our quiet country roads with my whippet in the passenger seat and cloth cap on t` back shelf.
when i'm done- you can come pick up and thrash it back dahn sarrf.
I already ran one in (mine)

of course at the end of this process- your P&J may bear more than an uncanny resemblance to a 997.1 upon collection.............. :?:
Apparently something to do with the chemistry of northern rain. blue paint sometimes looks silver in certain lights.
............. it affects the interiors too apparently

brownspeed said:
Iof course at the end of this process- your P&J may bear more than an uncanny resemblance to a 997.1 upon collection.............. :?:
Apparently something to do with the chemistry of northern rain. blue paint sometimes looks silver in certain lights.

:floor:

brownspeed said:
I can do it!
I'm just down t`road (cuz i'm oop norf) from Hartech.
I can collect it and pootle it around our quiet country roads with my whippet in the passenger seat and cloth cap on t` back shelf.
when i'm done- you can come pick up and thrash it back dahn sarrf.
I already ran one in (mine)

of course at the end of this process- your P&J may bear more than an uncanny resemblance to a 997.1 upon collection.............. :?:

:floor: :floor: :floor: Maybe that would work but you need to promise not to eat tripe or black pudding in the car , whippets are ok but no ferrets . and that Northern acid rain that makes blue look silver it will need protecting from that do those terraced houses up there have covers over the yard I am sure they do otherwise how do you avoid getting wet when you need to use the toilet in the outhouse :grin: :grin: :thumb:

My Christmas gift from Baz lol.
It lives :grin: :grin: Baz just sent me this pic , they are just waiting for a couple of ancillary parts and it will be ready to go back in the car. hoping to pick it up 3rd week of Jan after its had its remap .

I said "how do I know thats my engine" the reply "because it keeps starting up in the workshop and reving the nuts off itself" :floor: :floor: :floor:

Attachments

• image001_961.jpg
    image001_961.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,157
Then you have to run it in without being tempted to "rev the nuts off it" :eek:

jl-c said:
Then you have to run it in without being tempted to "rev the nuts off it" :eek:

:grin: I know, thats the tricky bit . :grin: :thumb:

That looks fantastic. If you are fitting it yourself I would be very interested to read about the process. It is only a matter of time before I swap an engine on a 996. I only come here to learn how to fix them.

MC

Jeez Phil, what an epic tale at tremendous cost and if I read right it correctly, all down to the fitment of aftermarket equipment... ???

Which brings to mind a story from a while back told to me by a pal who ran a m/cycle dealership and lived across the road from an OP dealership where he used to drop in on occasion to chat to the mechanics, being a mechanic himself. Apparently there was a then new (ish) 930 Turbo booked in for a service and it was up on the ramp first thing in the morning, when the workshop manager walked over and looked underneath he told the mechanic to get it down off the ramp and park it up outside..The manager then phoned the owner and asked him to come and pick up his car, the owner was seemingly surprised to think the service was finished so quickly, at which time the manager informed him that the dealership was not prepared to work on the vehicle as it had a non OP exhaust system fitted to it.. At the time over 30 years ago, I thought that was somewhat OTT, but having read your sorry tale...hmm.

Running in... jeez it is a long time since I heard anyone using that phrase, if you go around the antique shops you might find the kind of sticker that used to be stuck on the rear screen of new cars to inform following motorists that the vehicle was being driven slowly as it was in the process of running in a new engine... Now that would look good on the back of your 4S Phil don`t you think..? :floor:

Hope those three weeks fly by for you Phil :thumb:

Luddite said:
find the kind of sticker that used to be stuck on the rear screen of new cars to inform following motorists that the vehicle was being driven slowly as it was in the process of running in a new engine

I think we should all club together and get him some of those green "P" plates...

:thumb:

I think Phil would be better suited to the other running in sticker :-

" PASS NOW, COS YOU WON'T WHEN ITS RUN IN" :floor:

ps Has he got "My other cars a Porsche " on the Bentley???

my generous offer still stands Phil. the ferrets get car sick so we never take them out

This do?

[/url]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Car-Land-Rover-Series-AA-RAC-Running-In-Please-Pass-Sticker-Window-Decal/281664787132?epid=1688711945&hash=item41948792bc:g:XKkAAOSwrklVMC-g

:floor: :floor: :floor:

DrJimBone said:
Luddite said:
find the kind of sticker that used to be stuck on the rear screen of new cars to inform following motorists that the vehicle was being driven slowly as it was in the process of running in a new engine

I think we should all club together and get him some of those green "P" plates...

:thumb:

They will match the mankini

Luddite said:
Jeez Phil, what an epic tale at tremendous cost and if I read right it correctly, all down to the fitment of aftermarket equipment... ???

Which brings to mind a story from a while back told to me by a pal who ran a m/cycle dealership and lived across the road from an OP dealership where he used to drop in on occasion to chat to the mechanics, being a mechanic himself. Apparently there was a then new (ish) 930 Turbo booked in for a service and it was up on the ramp first thing in the morning, when the workshop manager walked over and looked underneath he told the mechanic to get it down off the ramp and park it up outside..The manager then phoned the owner and asked him to come and pick up his car, the owner was seemingly surprised to think the service was finished so quickly, at which time the manager informed him that the dealership was not prepared to work on the vehicle as it had a non OP exhaust system fitted to it.. At the time over 30 years ago, I thought that was somewhat OTT, but having read your sorry tale...hmm.

Running in... jeez it is a long time since I heard anyone using that phrase, if you go around the antique shops you might find the kind of sticker that used to be stuck on the rear screen of new cars to inform following motorists that the vehicle was being driven slowly as it was in the process of running in a new engine... Now that would look good on the back of your 4S Phil don`t you think..? :floor:

Hope those three weeks fly by for you Phil :thumb:

Thanks Luddite, yes your right it was an aftermarket part but whats worse it was not from a reputable maker , a cheap nasty made in the Far East thing which TBH had I known it was on the car when I brought it I would have removed it. I have fitted many aftermarket parts over the years but always from known suppliers and never had issues. I hate any type of Chinese goods as IMO everything about them is inferior and very poorly made. and certainly wouldn't have chosen to have them on my car.

Blimey now that takes me back , I haven't seen a running in sign on the back of a car for maybe 25 years or more :grin: :grin:

But looking forward to getting it back and having fun in it again . :thumb:

stucart said:
I think Phil would be better suited to the other running in sticker :-

" PASS NOW, COS YOU WON'T WHEN ITS RUN IN" :floor:

ps Has he got "My other cars a Porsche " on the Bentley???

:floor: :floor: :floor: very good Stu :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back