Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Knackered 3.4

With reference to wear on my engine,bottom end was definately gone,but I did hear it starting to tingle,I know from race experience to stop immediatley but did'nt.That would have saved the crank & rod. Grant said the pistons were savagable.I just went the 3.7 route because you can't have enough torque or power.I am not gentle with any car I have and have a scrap box with destroyed engines from Alfa 16v flat 4's,inline factory race 2 litre twin cam. Cosworth turbo with cracked blocks.Rods through the side in Cooper S. All engines do go bang if you take to the limit. I did have the 996 round Millbrook one day for exercise.The bill for the engine is compareable with the engine I am having built for my Cosworth.I have been told not to take the 996 on track when done and enjoy it as a road car.Will update with progress.Mike.

..I am not gentle with any car I have and have a scrap box with destroyed engines..

:eek: this may explain a lot..

Maybe a custom hard cut limiter next time?

Yes, that too, I was more thinking of the box of miscellaneous broken engines having a common theme

I would hope the 3.7 redesign addresses the oil starvation in long high g corners, I think I read hartech do something to counter that design flaw?

I have to say in my defence that most of my blown engines have been during races. The 996 was I am pretty sure oil surge. I haven't tracked it,just did one day at Millbrook wit CAT training.Mike.

You can dry sump them,just replace the bottom end with an early 991/964 bottom end.

Hah, simple.

I didn't realise that the 964/993/Mezger was staggered in the opposite direction to the M96/97. Underlines how different they are.

Hi,picked the engine up today from Hartech. Had a full rebuild,3.7upgrade,race sump so hopefully no oil surge.Will start putting the engine in tomorrow. I have new AOS,new manifolds + Topgear exhaust amongst other parts. Hopefully have it done for christmas to play with. Mike.

Happy Christmas, what a great project to do when you have a few days off work. Enjoy.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Happy Christmas, what a great project to do when you have a few days off work. Enjoy.

MC

+1

cossiemike said:
Hi,picked the engine up today from Hartech. Had a full rebuild,3.7upgrade,race sump so hopefully no oil surge.Will start putting the engine in tomorrow. I have new AOS,new manifolds + Topgear exhaust amongst other parts. Hopefully have it done for christmas to play with. Mike.

Nice choice choosing to upgrade to 3.7! What was the original fault in the end?

Hi,it had run a big end,buggered the rod & crank. We decided to let Hartech have the pleasure of rebuilding it. Steve is used to Cossie turbos & M3's.He will refit the engine etc & get it running. Will let you know how it goes. Mike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back