Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lets talk racks...

neil_911

Steering racks :lol:

Had my 911 on a ramp today for a general poke around and noticed I've got slight weep from the Passenger side steering rack boot. So i'm guessing the seal on the rack its on its way out. The level has dropped slightly but no big oil spillages yet.

Anyone any history with these racks? Is it a case of new/refurbed or can you get the seals to reseal the ends?

I've done a fair bit of preventative titivating throughout my porsche ownership so i'm looking at tackling it myself, Looks like subframe removal or maybe even just lower it and pull it through one of the sides.

Tempted to do all my coolant pipes while its down too.

If anyones got any good gen, i'd like to hear it. No matter how small :)

My steering rack started weeping last year @70k miles on a 2007 plate, so about 10 years use. I can't offer much replacement advice, as it was replaced under warranty, but I know they replaced the whole unit and the car need an all wheel alignment afterwards.

Good luck with the repair :thumb:

Thanks Tony,

I'm at 62k, and yeah almost 10 years so seems about right.

Lots of companies offering refurbishment with a 3 day turn around which seems decent... I'd imagine a new one from porsche is near on 4 figures :lol:

Wheel alignment is a given even if the subframe is dropped in my opinion.

Hi Neil

I've just done my front coolant pipes, the subframe can be lowered leaving the furthest 2 rear bolts on their last threads. Once the crossover pipes are out access to the rack looked fairly good so you might be able to do it without complete subframe removal?

I believe the rack is not serviceable so a refurb or new unit may be your only option

I've got a few pics with all the pipes out if that helps.

:redcard:

Rojdog said:
Hi Neil

I've just done my front coolant pipes, the subframe can be lowered leaving the furthest 2 rear bolts on their last threads. Once the crossover pipes are out access to the rack looked fairly good so you might be able to do it without complete subframe removal?

I believe the rack is not serviceable so a refurb or new unit may be your only option

I've got a few pics with all the pipes out if that helps.

Hi Mate,

Yeah i read your thread the other day and noticed your coolant pipe overhaul - top work (Y). I did replace one of mine that was leaking last year and the rest looked in decent condition. Was just a thought for consideration while i'm in there.

Having searched around abit, It looks as you said. Lowering the subframe enough and slide the rack out with some jiggery pokery.

Have to draw the line somewhere or it ends up like an entire front end rebuild :lol:

Post away some pics if you've got any good ones.

This is the best one I have of the rack, as you can see access is not too bad even in this photo with the pipes in but pretty sure you would need them out.

When you take the pipes out you can see which ones need replacing.

Attachments

• rack_556.jpg
    rack_556.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,979
Rojdog said:
This is the best one I have of the rack, as you can see access is not too bad even in this photo with the pipes in but pretty sure you would need them out.

When you take the pipes out you can see which ones need replacing.

Top pic, I wondered how the RHD steering UJ looked. Only been able to find LHD ones so far.

Its the lower plastic water pipe that i think would be a problem. I guess if its 3 day overhaul on a steering rack, thats enough time to order and fit some pipes if it needs them.

Disconnecting the track rods at the inner ball joint would make for easier handling.

That lower plastic one should come out without too much trouble as its only a short length before it connects to another rubber one.

Fair play on tackling it yourself, I imagine it will save you a small fortune! :worship:

It's anything with an o-ring that gets disturbed you risk it not sealing again when its back together i think.

Around £300 overhaul charges across the board with various places (still expensive when its probably a £5 seal)

I'd estimate 4 hours of porsche labour at least and £1000 for a new rack if it went to an OPC!

I find the Porsche pretty easy to work on having tackled quite a few jobs over last winters preventative maintenance.

S-class is definitely get the cheque book out though :lol:

Yes I can imagine that v8 is pretty tightly packed!

Agreed the Porsche is not so bad as you might expect.

When my 993 needed a new Steering Rack i removed it and took it to Western Power Steering and they reconditioned it and I collected it 2 days later. Great job for £200 and no more trouble. Sold it 10 years later.

montygraphics said:
When my 993 needed a new Steering Rack i removed it and took it to Western Power Steering and they reconditioned it and I collected it 2 days later. Great job for £200 and no more trouble. Sold it 10 years later.

Cheers pal,

Yeah reconditioning seems to make logical sense having researched it abit. Western power steering are in bristol though, 190 miles away :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back