Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What would you do?

kas750 said:
My turbo was ok but it did feel a bit of a lump tbh in many situations.
It was quick in a mentally fast turbo diesel kind of way but sometimes you want to rev the nuts off your car and a turbo doesnt really excell in that area.
The GT3 was like a Gazelle in comparison and an NA 996 is a good compromise and still quick enough.

Amen to that. :worship:

I simply don't want 4wd in a sports car. Plus the sound is muffled by the Turbos.
At every point where I could have bought a 996T I've always chosen something else.
The odd one has me tempted like the Silver one currently for sale for £33k or the grey 9e tuned one that's been for sale for ages.

Looks, sound and drivetrain wise though, I honestly prefer my C2, even with its chocolate engine.
As with all turbos I've had, once the novelty of the boost wears off I get bored and lets face it, anyone can floor a car and go fast in a straight line.

Epic performance for the cost but I'm still not too bothered.
We all have our preferences though and find our niche. I don't think there's a bad 911 out there really. :thumb:

Thanks everyone some great replies. My temptation peaked when I saw a silver x50 manual with 100k at 35k... andmy basic understanding is that they can easily be tuned above 500bhp which has me drooling....

That said I do love the c4s ... the red reflector stripe is something else which is why I bought it over say a 997.1 c4s

Gives me something to think about over Xmas.

Luke

If you are going down the steep and very slippery slope of modifying then I wouldn't bother with an x50. They are only worth buying if you want to keep it standard. The first things you will change are the turbos and intercoolers!
I bought one, but I didn't start with plans to tweak it.

MC

:hand:

Nah, boost is fun don't get me wrong, but I'm happier with a revvy N/A engine.

I drove a manual 996T years ago but can only vaguely remember it. I didn't buy it anyway so that says something. :D

Mega power when modified though, for sensible money. I can see the attraction. Yours is great Rags, and I love the colour of yours HSC. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
:hand:

Nah, boost is fun don't get me wrong, but I'm happier with a revvy N/A engine.

I drove a manual 996T years ago but can only vaguely remember it. I didn't buy it anyway so that says something. :D

Mega power when modified though, for sensible money. I can see the attraction. Yours is great Rags, and I love the colour of yours HSC. :thumb:

I think in general you get someone who either prefers boost or NA. Im a bit of both really, i love wringing the neck out of my motorbikes, but also just love boost. I had a NA sports car once..... just didnt like it!

My Volvo was generating 380 bhp from 2.3 litres- when boost came in it was, shall we say, dramatic.

I've now got two NA cars, and I think that for me a sports car is better suited to the throttle response and noise of NA.

The estate car might benefit from some boost though.

I'm with you two Rabbit and Neil.

I'm not averse to either. I love the wife's little Abarth but it makes me drive like an 18 year old on the few occasions I use it.

I grew up owning the laggy 90s RS Turbos and Cosworths which is why I like the Abarth as it's got that old skool Turbo burble.
My 964T was just under 400hp and I'd have that back in an instant. It's actually going to auction in the new year and I'm gutted I can't buy it back.

Like I say I've just always chosen something else when the 996T was an option. (964T then GT3)

A 996 GT2 and a 996 GT3 would be a nice garage mind. 8)

For a B road blaster that sees no track use though a fettled C2 suits me great until I can get something a bit more special, such as GT3/4 or aircooled.

It's not just an extra 90bhp, it's an extra 150 lb/ft of torque.

If you really want RWD and less weight, disconnect the front wheel drive system, it's very easy to do. Will also remove some drag. Fit an LSD in the rear and it's everything a RWD car should be.

Buy one with some billet wheel K16's, the way they spool up on the road makes it so much fun. I loved mine.

I get what Marky is saying about a lovely sounding high revving engine whether that's an air cooled or a lovely V8 and the different characteristics they bring to a car,having had a noisey 964 and a 3.3 turbo that done 90mph in second gear :eek: the 997 TT is still the best car I have owned I certainly don't get the often dull and stale comments you read about the driving experience I have had mine 3 years I look forward to every journey and always smile when I get out, the ability of the car (not me) never fails to amaze me whether its a straight line boost or the terrifying speed you can throw it into a corner and it always comes out the other side it never fails to impress bearing in mind my first car was a mark 5 cortina :D you young uns can look it up on a classic car site.

No intention of changing it as I cant see what more I would need (although a GT3 RS in Violet does look nice)a nice cobra rep in the fleet and I would be complete :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back