Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another lowered car rear camber issue post

asterix_the_gaul said:
Yes, I don't know how long it will probably take a little while, but tyres are not cheap so probably better to spend the money on correcting the excessive rear camber than buying new tyres every few thousand miles

Is that kind of negative camber a real tyre eater or are we getting worried over nothing? :?:

Annoying eh Asterix?

Exactly the same boat as me then. Brand new rear arms just fitted so now we need new adjustable ones and pay for another alignment.
I'm not going for another alignment until I know it'll be the last one for at least a year. :frustrated:

You don't really want more than -1.5 degrees on a road car and even that's a bit pointy.
I'm at -2.2 all round so want to get some off.
I couldn't say in mileage terms how quick it will wear your tyres but you will be throwing them away with bald inners and perfect outers if you do lots of dual carriageway driving and leave things as they are.

Definitely worth the bit of expense to get it right.
I'll be aiming for -0.8 to -1.2 degrees. I'll basically be copying Craig's CG settings and will then hopefully pay them a visit properly at some point.

Yes, I'm feeling stupid, had I paid attention I would have got m030 springs or adjustable arms To start with, I think with hindsight m030 springs would have been the right thing.
I think I saw a post where somebody got vogtland springs and they were less of a drop than Eibach, more than m030?

No just checked that, they were -30mm as well

If you get the adjustable toe links then you're free to try any suspension you feel like in future and you know you'll always be able to get it all into spec.

I didn't realise the importance of them or I'd have bought them sooner.
I'm going to sort mine by spring time. Luckily there's no rush as it's a fair weather car.

That's true for the rears, but we will nit still have the same issue with the fronts having too much neg camber?

No problems with the front and too much negative camber, you will be able to get them to standard+ spec. An issue arises when you want much MORE negative camber than standard and in that case you will need eccentric bushes etc.

I haven't fitted my rear adjustable toe arms yet as I have been waiting for the spring perch spacers I had machined to be delivered, they will give me back the standard front/rear rake as my car now sits too low at the rear.
I did consider getting a geo on the OE spec toe arms once the spacers are fitted as the height gain may allow the camber to be adjusted to within X74 tolerance and return the adjustable arms I purchased. The problem is that if it doesn't I've wasted another £100 on alignment so I think I'll just fit the £215 arms anyway and not take the risk. I can always sell my low mileage arms to partly offset the cost and the new ones look sexy anyway :boogie:

I probably won't get It sorted before Xmas now but will update when I have.

911munKy said:
No problems with the front and too much negative camber, you will be able to get them to standard+ spec. An issue arises when you want much MORE negative camber than standard and in that case you will need eccentric bushes etc.

I haven't fitted my rear adjustable toe arms yet as I have been waiting for the spring perch spacers I had machined to be delivered, they will give me back the standard front/rear rake as my car now sits too low at the rear.
I did consider getting a geo on the OE spec toe arms once the spacers are fitted as the height gain may allow the camber to be adjusted to within X74 tolerance and return the adjustable arms I purchased. The problem is that if it doesn't I've wasted another £100 on alignment so I think I'll just fit the £215 arms anyway and not take the risk. I can always sell my low mileage arms to partly offset the cost and the new ones look sexy anyway :boogie:

I probably won't get It sorted before Xmas now but will update when I have.

What size have you gone for with the perch spacers? prior to fitting my Eibach springs I had read about some guys in the states having some rear ride height issues, I'm not sure if mine being a facelift car or the wheel/tyre combo played a part but I'm happy with mine, I will be adding adjustable tie rods to help correct the rear camber though :thumb:

Attachments

• 20181219_051922_1152x665_123.jpg
    20181219_051922_1152x665_123.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 2,373
Mine is noticeably lower than yours in the rear so I've had some 10mm perch spacers made up to get the rake back. At the moment I can just about squeeze a one finger between arch and tyre (doesn't rub though with only me in the car despite 15mm wheel spacers although I have rolled the arches) and even with a 10mm rear height increase I will still be 4mm below the X74 datum.

asterix_the_gaul said:
oh, well that makes me feel better, I believe from the posts above the Eibach springs give you a lower ride height than X74 and slightly lower than gt3 hence the problem comes down to too low so therefore needing the adjustable arms to correct the camber or taller springs/adjustable coilovers to correct ride height so the camber sorts itself out. Or sod it and live with it.

This makes more sense to me - I talked to Centre-G about dropping my car to GT3 height, and they said that X74 was the lowest that a car could go with stock arms etc without encountering camber issues.

So - if the Eibach's are dropping you to GT3, it all lines up.

Dammit said:

Or not as the case may be hence the need for adjustable arms!

911munKy said:
Dammit said:

Or not as the case may be hence the need for adjustable arms!

I'm glad you said that cause I was scratching the head there :lol:

Got the car back this morning, had a look at the springs which came off it: they were h&r springs, so no surprise that the ride height is virtually unchanged, the rear camber looks better but it's 2deg20 both sides at the rear. The front camber they could get in x74 spec but increased the front camber to match the rear so it doesn't wildly understeer. The important thing is the toe front and rear is dead on spec so it drives well if a bit pointy. I can live with the camber, it's not a tyre eater I'm told, it's more if the toe is out it rags the tyres aparantly.

Advice was that adjustable arms might work, but may need the adjustable coffin arms too.

Taller springs like m030 will definitely correct the issue

Spring perch spacers would also work for the same reason as long as they were big enough to bump up the springs to enough over gt3 height.

I like the ride on the Eibach springs and Koni shocks so might go for spring spacers eventually, could they be made in 2 parts so they could be fitted without having to remove the shocks just compress the springs?

All good reading this as its probably my next big move on suspension so all your guys work means I can get right stuff up front.

What are you doing with your H&R springs and what condition are they in as I would be interested in them?

I'll pm you a picture.

That last post of your's put paid to a thought I had then Asterix.

I was going to suggest replacing the Eibach springs with the H&R. I have them fitted to my 1998 C2. Standard Meyle control arms and track control arms with no issues. Rear height measured at 133mm.

Very odd.

I've had 3 996.1's. The first was fitted with oldish H&R springs and was very low. The second had MO30 (Probably originals) and was almost as low.

Current had MO30 and seemed quite high, like standard height. I replaced all the suspension control arms etc and dampers and changed to H&R -30mm and its come down to about where the last MO30 car was.....

Is there some variation on damper spring perch heights going on rather than spring fitted lengths? Might be worth checking part no's between your models and lighter variants maybe?

Sorry not much help.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back