Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High or low mileage

benbuhagiar said:
I like buying cars with 60k miles as I think they represent good value. To me 60k miles isn't high but to others (spongebob) it is high miles.

Around the world close to 3 times, virtually scrap :eek: :grin:

+1 on a cheap high miler in a non boring colour, rag it till it breaks, Hartech rebuild, job done. Bearing in mind a high miler is likely to need suspension refresh and other high miler possibles, even so an expensive low miles 997.1 is the worst possible 911 buy in the current market.

Option B low miles gen 2, which is worth it and will always hold money well (but yes it's then essentially a garage queen AKA Herman Yellow)

Alternatively there are a few vanilla mid miles gen 2's kicking about circa 30 k

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...e/911-carrera-997/997-carrera-2-coupe/8894931

Good luck, nothing more exiting than a new purchase and the next few months are bargain time
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

3 major criteria for buying a car:

Condition, condition, condition.

spongebob squarepants said:
benbuhagiar said:
I like buying cars with 60k miles as I think they represent good value. To me 60k miles isn't high but to others (spongebob) it is high miles.

Around the world close to 3 times, virtually scrap :eek: :grin:

+1 on a cheap high miler in a non boring colour, rag it till it breaks, Hartech rebuild, job done. Bearing in mind a high miler is likely to need suspension refresh and other high miler possibles, even so an expensive low miles 997.1 is the worst possible 911 buy in the current market.

Option B low miles gen 2, which is worth it and will always hold money well (but yes it's then essentially a garage queen AKA Herman Yellow)

Alternatively there are a few vanilla mid miles gen 2's kicking about circa 30 k

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...e/911-carrera-997/997-carrera-2-coupe/8894931

Good luck, nothing more exiting than a new purchase and the next few months are bargain time
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

That is a vanilla gen2 grey over grey 3.6 very low spec, even that seems a bit overpriced considering Herman White went for under 30k which to be honest was a bit of a bargain for someone but the one in the link should be 30/31k imo

alex yates said:
3 major criteria for buying a car:

Condition, condition, condition.

Understood, but you can't just ignore price, can you? As pointed out above, a gen 1 bought for (say) £18k and then sent to Hartech might be preferable to a £30k mint condition car that still might go pop. I'm just saying that condition is related to price, that's all.

Price, like mileage & age is but a number :grin:

Therefore minor criteria :lol:

I nearly didn't buy a 997.1 because of the scare stories. In the end I bought a 997.1 basic Carrera (i.e. not the S) and made sure the engine number was in the larger IMS bearing range. Treat it well and annual Oil and Filter Changes and you will have minimised the risk.

I was in the same position when I got mine 3.5 years ago.

I went for a base 997.2, it has the mod cons I wanted as standard, and is nicer place to sit than the 997.1 & 996, whose interiors feel a bit dated now. (I accept the PCM3 nav is rubbish, but the stereo is fine and I navigate with Waze on the phone)

It's my daily as I managed to get the wife to drive the family car.

If I was after a car just for weekend blasts, I would certainly be trying a 981 cayman in a bright colour. (Or 987.2)

As I'm away six months of the year and only have to factor in bacon sarnie runs with Phil when I am home, I aim for something with high miles (75-80k) knowing that my limited use brings the miles / year back down to average...

Unit I blow it up and pass on the Hartech rebuild for something less sensible and more expensive. :thumb:

If you're set on a 997.1 - take phils advice, high miler + Hartech rebuild & centre gravity suspension refresh.

Money spent (or some of it) will be recouped come resale time.

Happy shopping :thumb:

I just think that a base 997.2 with lowish mileage is such a cracking buy right now. Now I know I am bias, but the reliability issue aren't there and their values are good. Maintained properly these cares are solid. A Hartech 997.1S would be my close second choice.

I almost bought a 997.1 Carrera S manual with an engine rebuild, but I walked away from the deal as it just didn't feel right. The car was good but I wasn't convinced it was the car for me.

2 months later, I bought a 997.2 3.6 PDK carrera as the Gen 2 car felt so much better.

IMHO the gen 2 car is a better car but gen 1 cars do sound nicer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back