Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Average annual mileage of a 997 remains at ..

I have owned my Porsche for 212 days and covered 4,045 miles in that time.

I'm on course for 6,964 miles per annum.

58 plate car with just over 70,000 miles.

As my work is only 6 miles away then I am ashamed that even if I use the 911 regularly ( 1 week in 3 as I have other cars that also need using ) some mot's are only 1000 miles apart! I use it to do long runs to the south west from the midlands but that may only be once or twice a year. Now I've just had the Hartech full rebuild I wonder how to run it in as of course short journeys need avoiding. Now I am aware that 'get a job further away" 'move house" etc will be suggested, but in the real world that is not sensible or practical. I must admit short of selling the other cars that I also have an emotional attachment to it is a problem. More weekends away is a possibility but having had a stroke in November I should be only driving short journeys. Guess give it to the wife to drive? :eek: :eek: :drive:

Thoughts gentlemen?
( and no, I am not going to lend it to anyone ! )

I've just come back from dropping my son at college followed by a grocery shop - driving our 14 year old RAV4 I hasten to add. Why anyone would choose to drive a lovely Porsche on wet roads, with massive traffic queues everywhere, dodging muppet drivers and Christmas shoppers is beyond me. My Porsche is tucked away in the garage for the time being.
For me, it isn't that I don't want to drive the Porsche, it's just that crowded winter roads in Hampshire are no fun to drive in ANY vehicle.

T8 - for your stats - I've done 2000 miles in eight months of ownership, and the car has done 35000 in seven years, average 5000 p.a. obviously. It's a gen 2 2011 Carrera 2.

Im precious with the 911 too, its been in the dehumidified garage under an indoor cover for several weeks, should have sorned it for dec, jan. We have regular car, but also a 986 Boxster, which gets used for local runs, all weathers, no worries where its parked, very liberating. 911 mileage has been 5-6k p.a.(will go down now that the 986 has turned up) 2k of that on a roadtrip each year.

mmmm well I did an ave of 11k pa in my 997.1 for the 4.5 years I owned it . but am now more like 8/9k pa with the gen2 , so doing my best to keep the national ave up :grin: but if as Terry says the ave is 6200 mpa that means half the owners are doing 9k pa or more like me, which means the other half are doing 3k or less pa :nooo: :nooo: poor bloody cars doing an ave of 57 miles a week :grin: :grin: OMG that would take over 5 weeks to empty 1 tank of fuel :eek: :eek:

Ive had mine since April and done less than 1000 miles, now 71500 in total on a 2005 997.1 2S. In my defence it has spent some time off the road getting it how I want it (Wheel refurb, discs and pads replaced, unexpected water pump replacement and other bits while that was being done)

She is now tucked up with a trickle charger and overinflated tyres until the spring.

I promise to try harder next year to put more miles on :roll:

I do roughly 6000 miles a year (not quite 10,000km) in each of my cars, perhaps a bit less as the office is a little closer nowadays.

I use the cars for pretty much everything - shopping, tracking, touring, commuting, winter and summer included - but I don't leave the 997 at the airport if I'm flying. It's better to take the other car, which has a built in disincentive (in other words, a fixed bucket seat), so any prospective thief would need to match my height/length of leg if he or she had any plans to reach the pedals and actually drive the thing.

jl-c said:
As my work is only 6 miles away then I am ashamed that even if I use the 911 regularly ( 1 week in 3 as I have other cars that also need using ) some mot's are only 1000 miles apart! I use it to do long runs to the south west from the midlands but that may only be once or twice a year. Now I've just had the Hartech full rebuild I wonder how to run it in as of course short journeys need avoiding. Now I am aware that 'get a job further away" 'move house" etc will be suggested, but in the real world that is not sensible or practical. I must admit short of selling the other cars that I also have an emotional attachment to it is a problem. More weekends away is a possibility but having had a stroke in November I should be only driving short journeys. Guess give it to the wife to drive? :eek: :eek: :drive:

Thoughts gentlemen?

Mate, given that you have already recently had a stroke which I am very pleased that you survived . you should already be at that "we only live once bloody well enjoy it" point so suggest you plan 2019 to be a year where you put a few miles on the car and really enjoy it, taking time out to chill and relax from work etc. "work to live not live to work" :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
jl-c said:

Thoughts gentlemen?

Mate, given that you have already recently had a stroke which I am very pleased that you survived . you should already be at that "we only live once bloody well enjoy it" point so suggest you plan 2019 to be a year where you put a few miles on the car and really enjoy it, taking time out to chill and relax from work etc. "work to live not live to work"

Point well made and taken, you may well be correct :thumbs: :thumbs:

Not Pork but a similar concept; I bought a GSX-R from new and put 13,500 miles on it in 14 months before handing it back to the dealer. I got about 10% less than I would have if it had been an average 3.5k bike.

That extra 10,000 miles cost me peanuts in the grand scheme of things... obviously with Pork values much higher it would have more of an effect, but unless you hit Apollo911 miles it won't change that much imho.

:dont know: For me; use it and abuse it and take the hit... :thumb:

After 25 years of longing for a 911, in the first 11 months of ownership we have travelled a very reasonable 13k miles and will have completed 16k by the anniversary as we're taking it abroad for Christmas.

This on a GTS that had a reasonably low 25k on the clock when we purchased it has probably cost us a small fortune in depreciation, but I couldn't think of a better motoring year ever, hope the 911 will serve us well into 100k+ miles in the not so distant future!

PS: contrary to what my post may lead you to believe I (unfortunately) don't have more money than sense and it has taken a titanic financial effort to own this car, but if you can afford the dream, then live the dream!

icekay said:
After 25 years of longing for a 911, in the first 11 months of ownership we have travelled a very reasonable 13k miles and will have completed 16k by the anniversary as we're taking it abroad for Christmas.

This on a GTS that had a reasonably low 25k on the clock when we purchased it has probably cost us a small fortune in depreciation, but I couldn't think of a better motoring year ever, hope the 911 will serve us well into 100k+ miles in the not so distant future!

PS: contrary to what my post may lead you to believe I (unfortunately) don't have more money than sense and it has taken a titanic financial effort to own this car, but if you can afford the dream, then live the dream!

Great post Icekay, and :worship: for driving like it should be used , every day is a fun day :grin: :thumb:

icekay said:

:worship:

...for me owning and driving the Porsche is a first world luxury and treat thus it will live in the garage over the winter, leaving it only on dry days...I would get no pleasure from driving it on wet,salty,traffic strewn roads...

My pleasure comes from removing my immaculately clean 996 and fault free (i cannot live with a car that has any issues;hell I change the mats as soon as they show even the tiniest amount of wear) from the car hole on a dry bright sunny day and enjoying a drive to a country pub or similar...high days and holidays outings...

I doubt very much that my annual mileage will exceed 2000 miles?

For me the mileage v value metric is unimportant; the important metric is how I derive pleasure from owing my Porsche ...

Each to their own...

GMG, I think you make a good point. Namely that you can enjoy a car by driving it, but in other ways too. For example, I enjoy looking at a car that is pristine and clean, which it wouldn't be if driven at this time of year.
Enjoyment isn't purely related to number of miles driven, for me anyway.

People say "they are built to be driven"; of course but they're also built to be looked at, or tinkered with, or detailed. For some people, they enjoy the "nice car, mate" comments or, dare I say it, what the neighbours think (not me I should add).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back