Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone cross-matched Variocam solenoids?

Marky911

Evening,

My car is currently at my Indy for some light top end work before my road trip next year. I'll cover it in my thread soon.

I was thinking about replacing the Variocam solenoids as preventative maintenance, even though they're functioning perfectly, as you can only access them from inside the cam carriers.

However, they used to cost £100 each. My Indy remembers being shocked when they went up to £170. Well guess what today's price is....

They look identical to the solenoid part of these VW ones but obviously I'm not going to start guessing with something so important.

So anyway I've done a bit of digging but not much info out there.
These will be fitted to other cars though so I just wondered if anyone has ever discovered what.

As it stands at the moment we are just going to go with my 65k mile ones as they're fine anyway. Preventative maintenance is good but I'm not spending the thick end of £1000 "just incase". Upto £200 or so then yeah, while we are in there.

We'll replace the seals with my other parts and that's all we can do.

Anyway any info welcomed. Not essential but I thought it worth asking. Thanks. :thumb:

PS. I have new seps/strainers for the sump too, just not in the pic.

First off .. if it aint broke dont fix it ..

Second .. take the advise of your indy ..

Third .. the picture is not what the porsche ones look like ..

Fourth .. replace the plastic slippers by all means but if the valve is working then im back at no. 1 .

Fifth .. they are HOW much .. :eek:

Sixth .. arrows point to the solinoid seals . .. internet picture or a reason ?

Hi D,

Concise and straight to the point. Good stuff.

1) I usually wouldn't but when they go they cause misfires etc and it's the same work we are currently doing all over again.

2) I always listen to a good mechanic, be that my Indy or your good self. :thumb:

3) I thought the cylindrical part on the VW unit looked very similar but that's ok. I would never risk it without cross-matched part numbers anyway.

4) Yep, main reason we are in there was due to traces of the brown plastic chain tensioner pads in my filter when I chopped it open at the last service, hence pads being renewed along with seals etc. .

5) Our thoughts entirely. :eek:

6) Pic is just of my parts that have arrived. Arrows just show the only solenoid related parts we can renew (the seals) without replacing the solenoids themselves.

I've instructed my Indy to just button it all back up with the old solenoids, I just thought it was worth a query incase anyone had ever found an alternative source.
The dream answer would have been "Yep they are VW part number blah blah blah and they cost £30 each".
Wishful thinking eh. :grin:

I'll leave as is. Thanks very much for the advice, as ever. :thumb:

...I replaced both in mine during the rebuild and just looked at my Porsche parts invoice and they were £222 each plus vat...3.6 mind whether that makes a difference?

The 3.4 ones have recently rocketed. After being messed about by an American supplier, I've just forked out £320 for bank 1 solenoid. Bank 2 can be had for around £100 less.

Thanks for the confirmation chaps.
Another great example of the Porsche tax then. I'd pay it if I had to but since I don't, I'll leave then this time. :thumb:

Hi Graeme, yep traces found in old filter at service so removed sump. Several bits in there.

Very common and they can last for years but due to next years roadtrip I'm having them done.
I'll cover it better in an update on my thread soon but anyway there are some you can't get to further down but they are much larger than the ones in the top end, so they generally last a lot longer. It's the small ones in the heads that get beat up due to their profile and small size.

Old ones. -

Yep but some 140k mile cars are still going. Their pads will look like mine on the right though.

Basically the edges of the chain links "can" cut 2 grooves into the pads from relatively early on in life. My Indy has seen them do this from 40-50k before.
Once they get so far down though, the centre rollers of the chain are then running on the pads too. This then slows further wear down massively.

Whilst my Indy sees most old pads looking wrecked during engine builds, he has never had an actual failure. Although we know people have online.

After the initial wear they just seem to keep going. With mine we were seeing that stage but again due to my 3500 miles to be covered over 3 weeks next year, I want peace of mind. :thumb:

Plus there is a small risk of debris blocking something isn't there.
Porsche have changed the material for the pads now. It's a softer creamy coloured material, rather than a hard toffee coloured stuff.
Hopefully they'll not begin to break up as quickly.

Worth noting it also throws your cam timing out if seriously worn.

^^^ Yep exactly.

You can check the cam deviation on 3.6 and apparently US market 3.4s but not U.K. ones.

My car has always idled a bit rough when really hot eg running for 45 mins at MOT and being revved for emissions.
I instantly thought it was to do with this but my Indy found the other day that my MAF was in the wrong way round!

Whoever fitted my K&N filter must have done it. We've looked into it on and off since I bought the car. So that's at 3 of its services. Strangely it never threw up a code until this year though.

As ever, always start with the simple stuff first. :grin:

I wouldn't worry Graeme. Just check your oil filter at each change. Any traces of debris from the pads, go from there.
It has highlighted the importance of doing that mind. Ironically I had oil analysis done for the first time ever and it was spot on (obviously due to it only reading metal content). :grin:

So analysis plus cutting the filter open is the way to go.

That's a much better price Alex. Mine got built back up on Friday though, so my wallet is off the hook until next time. I'll be well miffed if they fail anytime soon though. :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back