Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

I checked the fuse in the back of the Becker, and the fuses in the fuse panel, then I swapped them even though to the eye they were fine.

I made no changes to the factory wiring apart from connecting to the subwoofer line-out and shared ground, so even if I made a mistake in the piggy-back harness and swapped two wires over, when I unplugged that and plugged the Becker into the factory wiring literally nothing was different from a power perspective/plug A perspective.

Can anyone make sense of the last post on this page?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1673566

Is it saying that pin 6 on socket C1 is the remote start signal for the factory supplied radio, and that this is what wakes the amp?

As that's the only way I can make sense of what is being suggested here - and when I look at the pictures that I took today I can see that my remote start cable has another cable spliced into it which may well be the one mentioned.

I only have the wiring diagrams up to 2000
initially, I thought "No way" as it looks like you would be introducing a 12V feed to an line level output..

But on my wiring diagram:
Yellow Plug C1 Pin 6 is clearly marked "Plus Switched"
and goes to V7 12+ on the amp

so it's not a sub out at all?

also, to confuse you, it's black & red, not black & brown.

The blue wire from my head unit splices into that to send the "switch on" signal to my amp, in the funk.

in fact, according to the diagram, there is no sub output from the head unit on "Audio Option Pack M490" which is what i believe we both had originally. (6 speaker HK / Nokia system)
The only "Deep range" output is available as speaker lever at the amp.

Ok, that makes sense then - the tape deck that I had in the car when I got it can't have had a subwoofer output, but rather had the remote start on that pin.

Wiring diagram

Attachments

• diagram_630.jpg
    diagram_630.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 2,932
Cheers, that's the one that I have used to wire my short harness so I hope it is correct!

I don't see anything there that would explain why the Cascade Pro has stopped working though.

The amp takes 2 votlages - one is a 12v signal from the headunit that does power-on/off/sounds and the other ise the actual 12v power that feeds it to apmplify. The 12v remote-start should be asupplied from the back of the headunit, and on the OEM unit was just a 'remote start' to turn on the amp, with audio coming from the left/right outputs. In your new one, you'll need to bridge the output to a 12v source as per the PH diagram, otherwise your amp wont turn on due to a 'normal' line-level sub out being 2-3v

That's done, had to be when I swapped to the Becker.

Speaking of which, the Becker lives!

Mixed score for BMW- correct pins, wrong plug:

45644855844_0493367a19_b.jpg

Chap reckons I plugged it in with the ignition on, which is probably true.

He's not the most communicative, but my assumption is that he replaced something that 'saw too much currant", although why the fuse didn't blow is a question.

Dammit,

As my hertz 100.3s arrived, pulled out my front speaker housing to compare them (before Santa takes them to give them back to me) and measure the impedance.

First off, the OEM Bose units are decent enough quality, albeit 19 year old design and mine are physically nearly 17 years old. They have a standardish 4 screw pattern and at held in place with a plastic adapter - almost identical to the one you recycled from the Nokia speaker. Therefore one option for you is to find a scrapped 996 with Bose and salvage them rather than making them. There is a Bose stamp on it and no Porsche P/N.

I will have to elongate the hertz mount holes a little and possibly trim the end of the mounting tabs, but a simple job. I didn't have my phone to take photos, but I'll do than after Christmas when. I'm swapping them and do a write up like yours.

Also, not relevant to you job, but as I'm typing, the main speaker is circa 1.8 ohm per my multi meter. The separate tweeter has some sort of resistor or capacitor frequency thingy, so can't measure resistance upstream of that. Bypassing the thingy, I get 4 ohms. So to sum up, I have no clue what that means in reality, so I will stick in my 4 ohm hertz composite speakers and let the results speak for themselves ... :dont know:

I updated my "conversion" technique, dropping the Dremel and utilising a pair of tin-snips. The new technique results in the 100.3 being mounted in around 30 seconds to the tear-drop shaped cover.

Apparently my Logic7 harness is at Heathrow currently, so hopefully it will make it's way here shortly - it's been at Heathrow for 3 days so far it appears.

My alloy sheet (for making the mount) is currently "location unknown", as the courier has done something mysterious with it. I don't think I'm going to get this all finalised before NY now, and I'm in California and then Colorado in January so it might be Feb before it's all back together.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back