Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

All i can suggest is to remove the rear carpet at the back and look at what access you have .. from the dimensions then you may be able to shoe horn it in there .. carpet removal is a couple of plastic bungs and pushing the carpet down and out of the side fixings .

I cant see what you are doing but thats the only space i can think of .. it takes 5 mins R&R to remove the carpet so worth a look as i have no other ideas :)

Its not a huge space but its all i can come up with im afraid .. i try my best.

Re: Sub location, I used a modified box of Shreddies to mock up the sub & check possible locations.

I've been considering:

Focal ibus20
Kenwood Ksc-psw8 / JVC CW-DRA8 (same parent company & essentially the same product specs)

Unfortunately none of these will fit under my seats. The best compromise I've found seems to be mounted on its edge in the passenger footwell & tucked up on the right against the tunnel/HVAC/cubby holes. This should also facilitate using shorter RCA leads & make the wiring a little easier.

Covering the unit with some acoustic carpet attached with velcro should help to make it more discreet.
You might want to check how that works for you vs rear footwell.

Hi Iain / DeMort

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the Focal is a powered, slimline, sub-woofer. So a bass speaker - and as such, it really needs to be inside the cabin to be effective.

Under the roof space would be an intriguing place for (just) an amp though - thought it would involve routing new speaker wires.. and stuff! :thumb:

Photographs later as I am on my phone now- got all the behind dash wiring done, ran the wires for the sub, plugged the Cascade Pro in to have a listen- would not turn on.

Went to the garage, got a new/boxed Continental radio, plugged it in- works at once. *****.

Just on my way back from dropping the Becker off with a bloke who will see if it's dead, or can be brought back to life. Very annoying!

Does anyone know of a radio that has line-out for all speaker channels and sub, that would look ok in a 996, should the Becker be beyond repair?

Halcyon said:
Hi Iain / DeMort

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the Focal is a powered, slimline, sub-woofer. So a bass speaker - and as such, it really needs to be inside the cabin to be effective.

Under the roof space would be an intriguing place for (just) an amp though - thought it would involve routing new speaker wires.. and stuff! :thumb:

I did think it was an amp at first but now realise its a sub.

Dammits car is a Cab so the rear section with the roof closed is inside the car .. a bit further back than would be a good position but as i understand it its a bass speaker and can be balenced to give a louder output or is it just wired to rear speakers ? .. (i follow instructions with things like this im afraid ) .

Either way you balence more to the rear and get the desired effect .

There are so few places to fit hings like this hence i suggested the only place i could think of .

Carpet out is a 5 min job so pretty quick to see if it will fit in that space .. other than that your kinda stuck with behind the rear seats .. which is not central and i think would annoy even me .

Btw .. Iain is fine :D

The Becker has died :eek: .. dam im sorry .. i seem to remember that it wasnt cheap .

I had this before I converted to double DIN

deh-x8700dab_red_white.jpg

The orange (you can change all of the illuminations) matches the Porsche dash colours
Sounds very good and has loads of features

I still have it in the cupboard :D

deMort said:
Dammits car is a Cab so the rear section with the roof closed is inside the car .. a bit further back than would be a good position but as i understand it its a bass speaker and can be balenced to give a louder output or is it just wired to rear speakers ? .. (i follow instructions with things like this im afraid ) .

I will have to have a look at that over the holidays - the head unit can adjust the sub output and if there's room back there, I think that would be a great place for it! Out of the way and as long as it's still audible, it might be a great compromise!

Attachments

• pic05_794.jpg
    pic05_794.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,925
  • pic03_177.jpg
    pic03_177.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,925
Thanks for the links, however I have spent some time now preparing the cars wiring for the Becker (including dismantling and re-constructing the brand new loom I got with the Focal), complete with its line-level/pre-amp outputs.

= I'd like to stick with a Becker of some kind.

I've actually got one of those Continentals in the garage - it's what I tested the wiring with when the Becker would not boot. I could use that, if I spend some time reverting all the wiring to amplified outputs.

Sounds like it's time to double check all the power & vehicle signal wires :(
It worked before you took it out, I take it?
you've checked the obvious 12V, IGN and GND feeds I take it.. I'm not sure what else the Becker needs... Wiring diagram?

The Becker worked this morning, I then attached a wire to the subwoofer pin in the mini-iso connector and connected another ground to the shared ground, again in the mini-iso connector.

I then plugged in the Focal piggy-back harness, which replicates all original wiring whilst tapping into switched power, remote start and ground.

I plugged the Becker back in to check that it all worked, and the Becker would not power up.

No changes were made to power, ground or switched power, other than plugging in the piggyback harness.

I unplugged the piggy-back harness, the Becker still would not power up when connected to the original wiring, from which it powered up this morning.

I then plugged the (brand new, up until that point in it's box) Continental in, and that powered straight up.

I then checked the piggy-back harness with the Conti, and it powered straight up with that also.

The fuse on the rear of the Becker unit? :?:

This is the point where I huff and puff and go for a beer. That's really irritating the Becker won't play ball, are you sure the pin outs are the same from Becker to the continental¿? It's not something simple like it's popped it's fuse¿?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back