Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

stuck headlight

oh :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn:

Well - some questions then folks.

1) If the hex bar has been rounded off, what can I do to get the light out.
2) and once I do get it out, am I right in thinking I can simply replace the hex bar rather than the whole tray?

Thanks guys. For what its worth, I have polished the other light in situ.. and it looks great. Such a difference for little effort. Still want to get them off the car so I can coat them with a UV spray.

First of all .. try some allen keys .. im thinking more the bar type .. they have a longer shank .. thats what i would be doing anyways .

Your not going to get any point nosed pliers in that hole i feel so the next step is arch liner and wheel off to get access to the base of the headlight .. i think mole grips on the bar might then work .

From my research looking for pictures .. and experience then im pretty sure you cant change just the rod .. you would need to remove the entire plate reguardless to do this .

I seem to remember the plate is around the £110 mark .. again looking for pictures .. off hand ive never replaced one but i expect the instructions are in the manual .. download in the 996 faq section .

deMort said:
First of all .. try some allen keys .. im thinking more the bar type .. they have a longer shank .. thats what i would be doing anyways .

I'm sure this is down to my stupidity .. but how would I use an allen key? The bar is solid. Where would the allen key go?

From the picture it looks like you have a hex secion inside the rod .. the outer side should be a hex but has rounded off so logically the inside would also be a hex .

I cant say if theres enough to grab onto to turn it but from the pictures it seems worth a try before pulling the linner out and trying that way .. i go for the easy stuff first .. if that dont work then i have to go for the long haul :)

ahh i think it's possibly coming across as an optical illusion.

The highlighted below shows the Hex bar. I think the tool is spinning on this. When you put the 5mm tool on, you can feel it slipping sometimes. Sometimes it gets a bi of purchase and then slips. you can see the headlight move a little. Other times, it just seems to spin and slip without any purchase at all.

Attachments

• hex_179.png
    hex_179.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,007
If you look at the pictures there is a hole in the center of the bar .. thats where an allen key might fit .. at the end of the day if you have to force it into the hole then thats fine .. you are basically useing what ever you can to grip and hold that rod to turn it.

Ive never done this and indeed didnt realise there was a hole you might attempt this from but from the pictures it looks possible .

Your only other option is from below if this doesnt work .

To give you an idea .. sump drain plug rounded off .. we drill it out with a 10 mm drill then hammer a spline tool into it .. it bites and we get the plug out then replace with a new one .. what ever you can use to grab and turn this rod will do the job .

I think its one of those photographic illusions - its the hex end with a bit of shadow and a blob of grease on the end so it looks like a hole.

My take is the hoop is available as an item on its own so must be changeable. Try some different size sockets and if this fails go at it from underneath.

Its one of those things you need to sort one way or another as you're bound to get a blown bulb at an inopportune moment and no way to change it without going through the rigmarole anyway!!
Ian

Just remembered I'm sure I had a problem with one of mine where the rod had pushed in. The end of the rod has about 15mm bent at right angles and when pushed in this had jammed.

Artery forceps to pull it out?

Ian

I would be tempted to do what has already been suggested and hammer a smaller socket onto the end. The headlight may also be loose, try pulling it out without using the tool, sometimes they do stick before popping out.

There is a separate part number for the metal locking bar so I think it may be available to order separately?

> 2001 99663124300

2002 > 99663127300

Both around £24, expensive for a bit of bent bar.

Ordered the Bar from Exeter OPC, pick it up Saturday. They said their techs will have a look at the headlight as well, try get it out.

Will keep you in the loop folks. thanks for the help so far.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back