Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 disappointment

ragpicker said:
@spongebob, I'm not quite sure what your thoughts on the 991 are :chin:

I once heard of a chum who ended up with a sooty tailpipe after a chance meeting with a Balmoral Green Range Rover that caught his fancy...

Be careful you don't end up the same way! :wack:

:grin:
. :grin: :grin:

James M-S said:
That CGR system is the best I've heard on a 997.2.

Is it a 3.6 or 3.8? Looks like badge is just carrera not carrera S?

My car is, or was, a bone stock 3.6 Gen 2. The video on the CGR site was made by another member on here (neil911); I'm unsure whether his car is a 3.6 or 3.8 though.
The exhaust sounds really good, it's got a lovely howl at higher revs but is not silly loud at low speeds, just a muted growl. There is a tiny bit of cabin resonance in 7th gear, on the motorway, under load; that's my only criticism.
Build quality is really good (304 stainless, back purged, super clean welds) and the fit is spot on.

Is the sound on Neil's the same as yours?

I'll have to try and find his original thread.

Want a fruity exhaust as standard F type s coupe....seriously thinking about one myself,a lot of car for the money

https://youtu.be/_J1m3oOqtqc

Mine has a Topgear Secondary Bypass + Fabspeed Cold Air induction kit = no disappointment, sounds nice on start up, sounds even better above 4,000 rpm.
Still OK with neighbours and cats.
Not huge money about £1,000
However the Jag does sound pretty awesome agreed its on a different level.
A mate has the F-Type really likes it but now wants a 911 or Cayman

Nice problem to have though 997.2 or 991.
:?:

I felt my ears burning :lol:

My car is a Carreras S 3.8 PDK with sports chrono

Single silencer each side and yeah. Sounds like...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKBXsrxQNvk

Best mod I ever did to the car, sounds like a GT3 and gets positive comments at the super car meets :)

CGR makes all the silencers in house, so can tailor the sound if you're not quite happy with it

As a side note I did a lot of research before working with Charlie to develop my exhaust, I requested a X pipe. Charlie's solution was to pass both sides of the exhaust together but to keep the flow path uninterrupted by crossing them over, the exhaust bends back on itself with a small opening that shares the noise but doesn't distrupt gas flow.

I think without a cross pipe, you're trying to make 2 3 cylinder engines sound good. A downfall with many competitors exhausts

neil_911 said:
As a side note I did a lot of research before working with Charlie to develop my exhaust, I requested a X pipe. Charlie's solution was to pass both sides of the exhaust together but to keep the flow path uninterrupted by crossing them over, the exhaust bends back on itself with a small opening that shares the noise but doesn't distrupt gas flow.

I think without a cross pipe, you're trying to make 2 3 cylinder engines sound good. A downfall with many competitors exhausts

That makes absolute sense, I can't believe I hadn't realised that myself. :frustrated:

A 911 with H&S still sounds somewhat better than two fiesta ecoboosts! (Maybe not quite on a par with two Triumph speed triples though)

nigel99 said:
I've PSE and H&S and find that they really compliment each other.

The 997.1 with gundo sounds great, but the additional noise is the engine slowly eating itself :D

H&S with PSE (unplugged) sounds great. I wouldnt want anything louder to be honest because i'm not 17 any more

Speak to the guy who does the noise monitoring at Spa, he'll confirm how good an Akrapovic is, I may have been partly responsible for the breach of the noise regs on that day as Phil and I were close together but Phil was happy to take the crown as the loudest 997 on that day.
I've got a 997.2 turbo with the Sharkwerks pipe on so not really much help here but it does sound 'mint' as they say, especially in Sport when it cracks on the change up's!

:floor: :floor: He wasn't happy Nick , seems 133db is not what they like :grin: :grin: but bloody hell it was fun you and me on the straight just before Eau rouge the echo back from the stands was amazing. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

It was I had the windows down as I went past the old pits and I could see the bikers giving me a big thumbs up on the viewing area, I've got a video of it which I haven't posted because of all the 'commentary' I was talking most of the way through!

easternjets said:
It was I had the windows down as I went past the old pits and I could see the bikers giving me a big thumbs up on the viewing area, I've got a video of it which I haven't posted because of all the 'commentary' I was talking most of the way through!

I would like to see that mate, maybe you could email me it :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back